Two loads not intended to run simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
No book to look up dedicated, but to me it should pass as you are controlling the load/s of a function not multiple openings where anything could be plugged in.

kwired

Electron manager
No book to look up dedicated, but to me it should pass as you are controlling the load/s of a function not multiple openings where anything could be plugged in.
I don't believe "dedicated" is in there. Pretty sure NEC does have definition for "Branch circuit, individual".

If you supplied two different utilization equipment from an "individual branch circuit" you don't meet that definition even if you have interlocking methods, IMO. But that may not mean your load calculation on service or feeder has to include both loads either.

Craigv

I don't believe "dedicated" is in there. Pretty sure NEC does have definition for "Branch circuit, individual".

If you supplied two different utilization equipment from an "individual branch circuit" you don't meet that definition even if you have interlocking methods, IMO. But that may not mean your load calculation on service or feeder has to include both loads either.

Indeed, there is no NEC Article 100 definition of "dedicated". The definition of Branch Circuit, Individual is: "A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment." So unless the OP's theoretical heater and AC are actually one unit with internal lockouts to prevent simultaneous use of heat and cooling, if code requires an "individual branch circuit", he cannot use two separate equipment units with a separate lockout switch or device.

Having said that, I suspect the OP's last post was simply a bit of a misuse of the word "dedicated", as that's a commonly seen term in instructions for appliances and some equipment, if not in NEC.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
We do it all the time in apartments so ,body having jurisdiction, but I see with a simple switch only one item can run at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.