typed or hand written estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

This does not apply to commercial work however. You can also get a larger down payment from a homeowner if you have a special bond, I don't remember what the bond is called, but with such a bond you can get 50% up front.

That is common in a lot of states, the bond allows the licensing board to pull that bond and then your lisense is useless, so when your dealing with a licensed bonded contractor, the residential consumer has some protection from the hit and run contractors.

satnad

On my service changes I get 1/2 down before I start, the other half to be paid upon completion. It's been working well in my experience for about 5 years. Nobody's complained yet...
I demand 50% at the end of the 1st day or 2nd if a bigger job. Then final payment when completed. A much bigger job will have subsequent progress payments. Worked well for the last 30 years.

petey_c

I do mostly small residential work. If I have a bad feeling about a customer and need a deposit, I make sure it covers my materials. This way If the job turns sour I don't get screwed too severely...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On my service changes I get 1/2 down before I start, the other half to be paid upon completion. It's been working well in my experience for about 5 years. Nobody's complained yet...

I demand 50% at the end of the 1st day or 2nd if a bigger job. Then final payment when completed. A much bigger job will have subsequent progress payments. Worked well for the last 30 years.

I get no money before I start, 50% when I'm done, and nobody has complained ffor the last 85 years. :cool:

(Hey, it's a weekend! ;))​

Status
Not open for further replies.