UF cable for range and dryer

sparkync

Ok, another question. Sorry to bother you guys, but this service change is about to wear me out. Since wire is as high priced as it is, I'm thinking on using UF cable for the range and dryer. According to Article 340.10 #4, it says it can be used as NM Cable if it is multiconducter cable. Am I reading this right or am missing something?
I've got a 65 ft run on the dryer and a 20 ft. run on the range if I bring them out of the inside panel. And yes I do have 4 wires feeding the inside panel.
Thanks

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't know why anyone would buy NM from Lowes or HD these days. Their prices have been extremely high for the past year.

8/3 at my supply house is $1.91
10/3 is $.99

14/2 and 12/2 is about 50% higher at the box stores.
HD shows $109 for a 250' roll of 14/2. My supply house is $72

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That's the way itsbeen I my area, NC for a long time now.

8/3 with ground romex, $6.25 per foot
8/3 with ground UF, $3.04 per foot
Never seen such. What town are you in? Yes, that UF must be old stock and the store never thought to update pricing.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I went into home depot one time years ago and they had some crazy cheap price on UF. I bought what they had (I think 500 feet) and tried to order more and by more I mean thousands of feet. They wouldn't sell it to me. Turned into a big fight. I think I got banned from that home depot for a while lol

Last edited by a moderator:

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I went into home depot one time years ago and they had some crazy cheap price on UF. I bought what they had (I think 500 feet) and tried to order more and by more I mean thousands of feet. They wouldn't sell it to me. Turned into a big fight. I think I got banned from that home depot for a while lol
Sounds like me yelling at the Lowes people every time I have to wait 20 minutes for someone to open the stupid jail cell so I can get wire. I told them the next time my local supply house didn't have the wire I needed and I had to come to Lowes (always my last resort) that if I had to wait , at the 5-minute mark I was going to tools and bringing a set of bolt cutters over there and opening it myself. I always get the "we don't have anyone in electrical today." Not my problem, lady. Apologies for the thread derail. I just read that and it mad me mad again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Sounds like me yelling at the Lowes people every time I have to wait 20 minutes for someone to open the stupid jail cell so I can get wire. I told them the next time my local supply house didn't have the wire I needed and I had to come to Lowes (always my last resort) that if I had to wait , at the 5-minute mark I was going to tools and bringing a set of bolt cutters over there and opening it myself. I always get the "we don't have anyone in electrical today." Not my problem, lady. Apologies for the thread derail. I just read that and it mad me mad again.
They are usually a bit cheaper than supply house on full rolls of NM or UF, etc. But they are sky high on cut wire.