Ufers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
here in WA all new buildings are required to have one. i have this issue now with a detached garage w/o any rebar access. he failed my two ground rods and pointed me in the direction of a ground ring. i am waiting till tomorrow morning to see what lies ahead. the building was built before the requirement hit July 1, so i am hoping that lets me out.

i am also hoping somebody will read me 250.50 out of a 2014 book to tell me if it's still there, which said i don't have to use the rebar if any demolition is required. that would probably put me back into having a ground ring. there used to, i believe, be wording to the effect that a ground ring could be only 20 feet of wire in the ground, but now i think that language is gone that is, a ring goes all the way around a building!!! i will have to ask mr lead inspector around here wtf he wants me to do.

As of the July 1 Electrical WACs a ground ring is no longer required if a ufer is not used, you can use ground rods but the resistance must be independently tested and be less than 25 ohms

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Are UFERs required for dwelling units? Are they required for commercial? Around here there isn't a single home with a UFER, and close to 90% of commercial inspectors let is slide. But after reading article 250, it has me thinking I could be doing something very wrong.

I would think bonding rebar foundation is more important to grounding than ground rods, possibly even the water bond since the foundation is such a large conductive part of the building requiring equal potential.

Also, am I correct to say that with a UFER, other grounding requirements (such as 2 ground rods) become optional?

@mbrooke-

In terms of "Are UFERs required for dwelling units?" per the NEC No, that would be a building code or design aspect. The NEC says "IF" the Concrete Encased Electrode [CEE] is present it will be used. The NEC tells us what it can consist of [250.52(A)(3)] and how to connect to it [250.62] and what size has to be [250.66] but as to requiring it to be in the construction of the building...thats a building code thing. As per Section 250.50, if they are present at each building....then go from there once you determine if they are.

Also in terms of the "optional"...Ground Rods are indeed optional IF you indeed have a CEE Grounding Electrode present.

P.S. I did not read the other responses so I am sure someone else already covered this....just in case they did not....There you go !

bullheimer

was told what you said: independent third party. dont know what they charge tho so had the general chip the stemwall out.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
@mbrooke-

In terms of "Are UFERs required for dwelling units?" per the NEC No, that would be a building code or design aspect. The NEC says "IF" the Concrete Encased Electrode [CEE] is present it will be used. The NEC tells us what it can consist of [250.52(A)(3)] and how to connect to it [250.62] and what size has to be [250.66] but as to requiring it to be in the construction of the building...thats a building code thing. As per Section 250.50, if they are present at each building....then go from there once you determine if they are.

Also in terms of the "optional"...Ground Rods are indeed optional IF you indeed have a CEE Grounding Electrode present.

P.S. I did not read the other responses so I am sure someone else already covered this....just in case they did not....There you go !

So in theory, not even an industrial building needs a UFER as mandated by code? It might explain why so few buildings have them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Whether a commercial building requires you to use a ufer depends if the electrode is available. If there is a ufer then imo you must use it but not if the ufer was covered in concrete when the building was built. IN new construction, IMO the rebar if the appropriate size must be used as a ufer

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Whether a commercial building requires you to use a ufer depends if the electrode is available. If there is a ufer then imo you must use it but not if the ufer was covered in concrete when the building was built. IN new construction, IMO the rebar if the appropriate size must be used as a ufer

But code lets you ditch the UFER in theory as ling as ground rods take over?

Sorry for the confusion on my part:ashamed1:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But code lets you ditch the UFER in theory as ling as ground rods take over?

Sorry for the confusion on my part:ashamed1:

I don't think so. If the concrete encased electrode is present at the building you have to use it and then you do not have to use the ground rods. You may also add rods but that would not be necessary. The way I see the Ufer is a must if present at the structure you cannot decide to use rods in lieu of the concrete encased electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.