Under NEC 2017, can residential electric ranges be hard wired? Does UL 858 allow? If so is no GFCI required? Has TIA 1563 been accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most ranges I see are setup for cords and I suspect the instruction sheets state that also so imo, it would not be compliant to direct wire a range. Maybe the manufacturers need to start putting whips on them as they do for ovens especially since breaker locks can qualify as the disconnect.

If the instructions don't state that a cord must be used then I would use a whip to a jb and be satisfied.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm still confused about the actual question. 2017 NEC, cord and plug connected residential dwelling range, is GFCI protection required at all?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Post #10 implies that he wants to know if it is permissible to not provide GFCI protection if the unit is hardwired. I don't know what you mean about the type of EGC being relevant.
>>>>

210.8(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All single-phase receptacles
rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-
phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less,
100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall
have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

~RJ~

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The OP stated that this is a residential range (I would assume in a dwelling) under the 2017 so what is the issue?
The issue would be 210.8(A)(7). There is no specific requirement for the range receptacle to have GFCI protection, but in some kitchens that receptacle will be within 6' of the edge of the sink.

davidlbriggs

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
To all concerned, we tried 'drying out' the ranges for one hour on standard 2 pole 50 Amp breaker, then switched back to GFCI breakers and units worked fine. I'm adding this 'dry out' to my startup procedures for all such GFCI protected equipment.

These are "residential ranges' for 'light duty' in a Community Center. The 2017 code apparently allows an exception if units are 'hard wired'. (Still needs local disconnect or be in sight of panel.) Although I have not confirmed this (I don't have copy of the UL standard), the units would have to listed for hard wiring and that was not obvious from the OEM installation lit. The inspector was going to require proof of listing for hard wiring.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this issue.

David Briggs, PE
Sevierville, TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.