Unfinished basement lighting switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does NEC 210.70(A)(3) require a switch at each entry point to a basement or just one if there are more than one entrance? The question arises from a basement with an interior stairway and a IRC code legal exterior stairway. There is a switch only at the interior stairway. There is exterior lighting for the stairs that is switched at the exterior door, but no way to switch the basement lights.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If there is a switch for the basement light at the normal point of entry-- say the stairs- then one is not required by the outside door for the basement lights. I think Bob is in agreement there.

iwire

Staff member
Okay, who uses the usual (normal) point of entry, homeowner or service tech?

It is what it is.

All you could do is force the single pole switch to be relocated, the NEC simply does not require a switch at each door.

This is a case where 90.2(B) is very true.

90.1 Purpose.

(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate
for good service or future expansion of
electrical use.

Highlighting by me.

As a customer I would expect two switches, as a contractor if I had bid code minimum I would not provide another switch for free.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Okay, who uses the usual (normal) point of entry, homeowner or service tech?

If it is a commercial job I suspect the normal entrance would be the stairs from the inside since you would probably need keys for the outside door. If you are uncomfortable with it then add another switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.