Ungrounded AFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Ungrounded AFCI?

Al
Your exhibit came out of 250.130 and here is what was said about it.

Section 250.130(C) applies to both ungrounded and grounded systems. It permits a nongrounding-type receptacle to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle under the following conditions.
1. The branch circuit does not contain an equipment ground.
2. An existing branch circuit is being extended for additional receptacle outlets.
3. An equipment grounding conductor is connected between the receptacle grounding terminal to any accessible point on the grounding electrode system, to any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor, to the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure, or to the equipment grounding terminal bar in the enclosure from which the circuit is supplied.
The requirement in 250.52(A)(1) does not permit this separate equipment grounding conductor to be connected to the metal water piping of a building or structure beyond the first 5 ft of where the piping enters the building or structure unless the conditions of the exception to 250.52(A)(1) can be met.
Exhibit 250.49 shows a branch-circuit extension made from an existing installation. This method is also permitted to ground a replacement 3-wire receptacle in the existing ungrounded box on the left, where no grounding conductor is available.
It is clear that any extension must comply with 250.130
:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

JW,

And, as I said just a little earlier, if 250.130(C) is to be complied with, one has to include 250.130(C) FPN.

jwelectric

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
JW,

And, as I said just a little earlier, if 250.130(C) is to be complied with, one has to include 250.130(C) FPN.
FPN: See 406.3(D) for the use of a ground-fault circuit-interrupting type of receptacle.

406.3 (D) Replacements. Replacement of receptacles shall comply with 406.3(D)(1), (D)(2), and (D)(3) as applicable.

Fine Print Note is For replacement ONLY.
We are in agrement.
:)

[ July 09, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Of course, 250.130(C) FPN tells where to look for instructions about "replacements".

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Al, thanks for throwing up that handbook graphic to look at. It gives me hope for my proposal.

As it stands, if the wording is trying to describe what the handbook picture is displaying, it's doing a poor job, IMO. :)

A brand-new receptacle in a brand-new box is not replacing anything, so technically, it's not a replacement. Aside from a small square of drywall that has been replaced by a cut-in box. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.