ungrounded conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron macdonald

The NEC doesn't permit the use of white or gray conductor insulation for ungrounded conductors in a raceway, even if the conductors are permanently re-identified 2008 NEC 200.7 (c) I would like to have this explained in layman's terms but the background for this is, I installed a 240 volt heater with a single phase thermostat. I put in a 20 amp double pole breaker and ran 12/2 wiring to the heater. Excuse me if I get any of the terminology wrong. As far as I understand it I don't have a neutral, the neutral is now an ungrounded conductor as well as the black. I ran it from the main panel thru a conduit(raceway) into the basement. Does the code I quoted have reference to anything I've done and should not have done. If it is something I should not have done, how do I correct it seeing that I have to run the wire thru a conduit. Also, the NEC also makes reference to a disconnect near the heater. What type of disconnect would satisfy the NEC for this size heater?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.