Upgrading 3Phase Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Hey Guys,

I am up grading a three phase service. It is an older service. I noticed that the grounding electrode was on the same lug in the meter as the nuetral that is going inside to the panel. My thought was to loosen the GE and take it straight to the panel on the inside and use it to start a grounding bus because there is a subpanel that is using the nuetral from the main panel for the ground and nuetral. I know that the nuetral at the service is the same as the ground, but the subpanels grounding and grounded conductor have to be seperate. Am I correct in my thinking at the main panel when it comes to seperating the GE in the meter and bonding it to the main panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From 250.24:
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring
system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a
grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded
service conductor,
at each service, in accordance with
250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection
shall be made at any accessible point from the load end
of the service drop or service lateral to and including the
terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is
connected at the service disconnecting means.

kwired

Electron manager
Grounding electrode conductor and equipment grounding conductors do not serve the same purpose, they will connect to the same point at times, but for different reasons.

The key to understanding what associated codes for each means is to know what each does and how and why they do it. Accomplishing that leaves a much smaller window of questionable items.

Benton

So, from the code mentioned I need to bring the GE in to the panel with the grounded conductor on the same bus. And whatever subpanel is fed from the main panel I just need to physically separate the two, right? Basically, I'm coming off the main bus that has both the grounded and grounding conductors and feeding those same two conductors to the subpanel but at two different physical points, one bonded one not, in the subpanel? Thank for you help. I'm going to buy Mike book, grounding vs bonding. It's something I understand but don't always remember.

kwired

Electron manager
So, from the code mentioned I need to bring the GE in to the panel with the grounded conductor on the same bus. And whatever subpanel is fed from the main panel I just need to physically separate the two, right? Basically, I'm coming off the main bus that has both the grounded and grounding conductors and feeding those same two conductors to the subpanel but at two different physical points, one bonded one not, in the subpanel? Thank for you help. I'm going to buy Mike book, grounding vs bonding. It's something I understand but don't always remember.

From the code mentioned the GEC doesn't need moved at all if you don't wish to do so.

It can be run to any point of the grounded service conductor from service drop or lateral up to the service disconnecting means.

The meter socket happens to be one of those points.

Status
Not open for further replies.