USES box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

Banned
Charge them your engineering fee to pre inspect their process and facilities before you will approve of the purchase.

Then, you have to go back, oh and you have to go back, then the delay for the documentation is happening. You have more fee necessary to find out what the docs holdup is.

If there is a DQ on the drive to their production facility, that's a twofer. But if you spend all the 16k at the DQ trying to get the inspection done, that's bad for you.

Zee

Ya know what I have one of these lying around I'll sell ya for just $9,999.99. Gimme a sec.
(dumps old electrical junk into leftover NEMA 3R J box.)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Ya know what I have one of these lying around I'll sell ya for just $9,999.99. Gimme a sec.
(dumps old electrical junk into leftover NEMA 3R J box.)
Just don't shake the box. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Zee

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO if the customer wants to spend the money, they should hire you to perform an honest assessment of what this device can do, and an honest look at competitive devices that provide the same benefit. If they decide to pay for it and pay you for the installation, then IMHO you should do what the customer wants unless this particular snake oil is in fact dangerous. In other words if it does no harm other than costing $16K, and you've given your honest assessment, then take your pay and install it.

The brochure claims that the device is UL listed as a surge suppressor, and so it is presumably as safe as any other similar surge suppressor. Presumably there is a bit of RF noise shunting in there as well, maybe a bit of PFC capacitance. My guess is that there are other products which cost less and don't have the slick marketing which will provide the same actual benefits for fewer $$.

-Jon

__dan

Banned
Not as a general rule but as a beginning premise for the general case, inverter outputs will not like the caps.

You (everyone) should already know this. Fast transient transistor switching into the next nearby cap, especially with no intervening series inductance, is a recipe to make smoke, poof the output transistors. That would likely cost more in repairs and unintended consequences than USES could ever repay with decades of energy savings.

If the caps, the USES box, are far enough away from the inverter output, like at the far opposite end of the plant, you could accidentally get lucky and not get callbacks for wtf my inverter is throwing error codes. The caps do not care but the inverter will certainly see it.

A box of air otoh, the inverter will be very happy with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.