Utility jurisdiction limit: Meter or Service disconnect?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Utility jurisdiction limit: Meter or Service disconnect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Overhead: majority at the weather-head but they also have jurisdiction over the metering equipment located inside the NEC zone (by exception).

Underground: majority at the meter

fmtjfw

Service point can be basically anywhere

Service point can be basically anywhere

We have a 12.47KV 3-Ph service. The order of items are in following order:

0: POCO side
1: service point
2: air switch
3: fuses
4: metering PTs and CTs
5: a line leading to our pole pigs and pad transformers with associated air switches and cutouts.

Strangest layout I've ever seen for a service point.

kwired

Electron manager
We have a 12.47KV 3-Ph service. The order of items are in following order:

5: a line leading to our pole pigs and pad transformers with associated air switches and cutouts.

Strangest layout I've ever seen for a service point.
Why is that much different than some low volt services?

1:service point
2:service raceway
3: meter disconnect
4: self contained meter & socket
5: customer raceway/cable and/or service disconnect

Everything on customer side of service point is customer owned and their responsibility to maintain, with exception that any metering equipment within the meter socket or CT cabinet is POCO controlled and likely is POCO owned.

anndee4444

call Gary Gonzales at SCE 909-548-7051 and he may be able to shed some light on it for you or may know of someone you can talk to.

I left Gary a message, and just got a call back from someone else (didn't catch his name). SCE's requirements are just as expected; as long as the main breaker is correctly sized, they have no issue what the panel is rated for (when the meter in in a separate panel from the service disconnect).

I have not made any headway with LADWP, but have figured out a work around: install a correctly sized (according to them) service disconnect and then the load center can be whatever size we want (like 200A). This works wonderfully for our backfeed, while still giving them what they want. :thumbsup:

fmtjfw

Why is that much different than some low volt services?

1:service point
2:service raceway
3: meter disconnect
4: self contained meter & socket
5: customer raceway/cable and/or service disconnect

Everything on customer side of service point is customer owned and their responsibility to maintain, with exception that any metering equipment within the meter socket or CT cabinet is POCO controlled and likely is POCO owned.
Because
2 and 3 are the true/legal service disconnect, not exclusively the "meter disconnect".

[We treat the secondaries of transformers as thought they were "service entrances" because they have the same characteristics as a POCO distribution transformer secondary (no overcurrent protection until building main CB, and very high available fault currents.]

kwired

Electron manager
Because
2 and 3 are the true/legal service disconnect, not exclusively the "meter disconnect".

[We treat the secondaries of transformers as thought they were "service entrances" because they have the same characteristics as a POCO distribution transformer secondary (no overcurrent protection until building main CB, and very high available fault currents.]

For some reason I never considered the overcurrent protection - even though it was on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.