vanity lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I have a bath vanity that will be 6" from the shower/tub . I dont usually have the vanity by the tub that way . I am wondering about the the vanity lights if I put the single lights on each side of the mirrow like I wanted ,one will be right by the tub . If I use the light over the mirrow in the center the edge of light will still be 12" or so from the tub and approx 6 ft high. Isnt there something in the code about the lights have to be 36" from the tub edge ?

jetlag

Thanks bphgravity

Thanks bphgravity

The section in the code you want to review is 410.10(A) and (D). NEC 2008 edition.

Thanks for reply . Exhibit 410.1 in the NEC 08 handbook makes it all clear , it seems the securely fastened wall lights or flush or recessed ceiling lights are allowed in the 3 ft zone and dont have to be listed as damp or wet if not directly over the tub.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jetlag, Violation or not?

ry%3D480

jetlag

Jetlag, Violation or not?

ry%3D480

The way I understand it that is not a violation since the fixtures are securely mounted, but being directly over the tub they must be listed for damp location , and it doesnt look like that kind of fixture , If there was a shower the lights would need to be listed wet location . what I dont understand is why there is not a heigth limit for the wall mounts , how could a wall light 1 ft above the tub only need to be for damp location ?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The way I understand it that is not a violation since the fixtures are securely mounted, but being directly over the tub they must be listed for damp location , and it doesnt look like that kind of fixture , If there was a shower the lights would need to be listed wet location .

Close. No shower then it does not need to be listed for damp location. I see nothing wrong with this install.

jetlag

Thanks dennis

Thanks dennis

Close. No shower then it does not need to be listed for damp location. I see nothing wrong with this install.

Doesn't the end of 410.10 D say those lights less than 8 ft directly above the tub have to be listed damp and if subject to shower spray they must be listed for wet ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Doesn't the end of 410.10 D say those lights less than 8 ft directly above the tub have to be listed damp and if subject to shower spray they must be listed for wet ?

I am sorry correct you are. I wasn't thinking straight-- those fixtures, as I was told are rated for damp location. If it is over 8 feet from the rim then it doesn't have to be damp location rated.

jetlag

thanks dennis

thanks dennis

I am sorry correct you are. I wasn't thinking straight-- those fixtures, as I was told are rated for damp location. If it is over 8 feet from the rim then it doesn't have to be damp location rated.

I never thought I would see the day you had to make a correction , It does not happen often , you are the code wizzard :grin: Do you have an answer why they dont give a min. height for the fixtures only rated damp inside the tub restricted area directly over the tub ? :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I never thought I would see the day you had to make a correction , It does not happen often , you are the code wizzard :grin:
You give me way too much credit-- my brain is half asleep most of the time.:)
Do you have an answer why they dont give a min. height for the fixtures only rated damp inside the tub restricted area directly over the tub ? :confused:
I suppose they don't see an issue with it. Personally I think it is a bad install which I have done at the ho request-- "Hey honey hand me a bulb, I am taking a bath and the darn thing just burn out."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a bath vanity that will be 6" from the shower/tub . I dont usually have the vanity by the tub that way . I am wondering about the the vanity lights if I put the single lights on each side of the mirrow like I wanted ,one will be right by the tub . If I use the light over the mirrow in the center the edge of light will still be 12" or so from the tub and approx 6 ft high. Isnt there something in the code about the lights have to be 36" from the tub edge ?

What code cycle are you under?

jetlag

I suppose they don't see an issue with it. Personally I think it is a bad install which I have done at the ho request-- "Hey honey hand me a bulb, I am taking a bath and the darn thing just burn out."

Thats not as bad as me years ago I let an HO talk me into putting a small ceiling fan over a tub at his wife's command . It had a ten foot ceiling so my brain quit working and I was thinking 8 ' above the floor . Didnt think untill I got home the 8 ft is above the tub rim . Its been 4 years and I worry to this day that something will go wrong. It even has a pull chain they can reach :confused:

jetlag

In a case like you had , I think the bulb should be completely enclosed and on a GFCI circuit and installed at least 7 ft above the tub bottom , that way they have to make more effort to contact the bulb socket . They dont allow things like that in a hot tub , but then they probably figure a good chance people will be hitting the booze :grin:

In a case like you had , I think the bulb should be completely enclosed and on a GFCI circuit and installed at least 7 ft above the tub bottom , that way they have to make more effort to contact the bulb socket . They dont allow things like that in a hot tub , but then they probably figure a good chance people will be hitting the booze :grin:

A GFCI will not protect one if the person gets between the ungrounded and grounded conductor.

BTW: that is why I hand my wife the bulb:D:D;):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.