Voltage Drop Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCleveland

You may have inferred that. Incorrectly if I may say so.
It certainly didn't require 90 or so convoluted posts to get there.

I will take the heat for keeping it going...don't think all the posts are convoluted.
Started by a simple request for a check on VD...with replies. I noticed some of the responses were not matching my calcs and started digging into WHY. Reading into NEC table 9 notes it states calc is an approximation, so on my own I tried to come up with a calc for exact....which was off base and was steered back by Ing....

In the end, after exploring IEEE 141 method, the error is minimal, but is now included in my program.
Still struggling some with graphing the component vectors, and still have to add temp adjustments.
Just an old man struggling to keep his mind occupied.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..this is as much a social site as technical..

No questions or suggestions seemed inapropriate for a volage drop thread.

On the social side, its notable that UK standard, 2008 BS7871, used formulas to accomplish its task in 400 pages vs the 2008 NFPA-70 in 800+ pages of idiot tables requiring convoluted adjustments to more cross-referenced tables.

It took me years to load these lookup-table formulas & adjustments into a spreadsheet, just to start over again in 2008, when the NEC changed Table-8 conductor properties to harmonize w/ Canadian Standards.

If I dared to learn BS7871, it might be cause enough to take a long vacation from the NFPA, become an undocumented laborer in the UK, and piss off their licensed contractors.

Ingenieur

No questions or suggestions seemed inapropriate for a volage drop thread.

On the social side, its notable that UK standard, 2008 BS7871, used formulas to accomplish its task in 400 pages vs the 2008 NFPA-70 in 800+ pages of idiot tables requiring convoluted adjustments to more cross-referenced tables.

It took me years to load these lookup-table formulas & adjustments into a spreadsheet, just to start over again in 2008, when the NEC changed Table-8 conductor properties to harmonize w/ Canadian Standards.

If I dared to learn BS7871, it might be cause enough to take a long vacation from the NFPA, become an undocumented laborer in the UK, and piss off their licensed contractors.

theory is one thing
practice another

adjustments are seldom needed, the most used I would venture is >3 cond derating

as far as temp the tables are conservative
amb is 30 C
the insul 75 C is at rated ampacity
pf 0.85

2 x D/1000 x Z x I will suffice >95% of the time
the other 5% niether std has tables for all possibilities

there are other factors
load profile, util v is usually higher, equip rated for 100% at a drop
ie, 480 motor rated at 460 or >4% drop
and table fla are usually high and motors are seldom run 100% loaded
so you may 'calculate' 3%, but it will operate lower
so if a calc is off even 30% (unlikely), 3% vs 4% does it matter?

for bldg wire moot

I look at discussion like this as mental excercise or thought provoking
not really going to change the way many do things

now v drop upon motor starting, all the way to the util xfmr
how many look at stuff like that? lol

Ingenieur

Might I politely suggest that you revisit post #82?

As for the number of posts, the method was stated in two lines in one post.

might I kindly suggest you do a search for BS7671?
it appears you thought the BS and NEC were somehow different methods

no it wasn't
there were questions on the various methods and corrections/compensations
but again, participation is optional

Besoeker

forum search
your comments that it was different and simpler than the NEC
I'm rather saddened that you feel the need to continue with that erroneous comment.
"Identical other than the units of measurement, of course" is exactly what I posted.
Now, can we accept that's what I posted and close this before we get accused of bickering?

Status
Not open for further replies.