Wago connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm sure some older electricians in here remember when devices used to be able to be backwired (stab-in) with #12 conductors. In the late 80's or early 90's I believe they started making them so we could only backwire with a #14 conductor. The reason for this change was because the thin piece of metal that held the conductor in place tended to fail when it saw the heat from over 15 amps of current. I never use the backwire function even with #14 wire. I prefer to side-wire around the screws. That's why I don't trust Wago connectors in higher current situations.
These are not same design as what switch/receptacles have for the clamping function either though so you can't really make such comparisons.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
These are not same design as what switch/receptacles have for the clamping function either though so you can't really make such comparisons.
Also the way they are used vs a back-stab makes a huge difference. For example, on a receptacle with a back-stabbed conductor, everytime you plug/unplug something you are moving the receptacle slightly. That constant moving can loosen, or weaken, the connection. With a Wago type connector, the conductors are just inserted in the Wago itself. So pushing/moving the receptacle has no such effect on the connection in the Wago.

Carultch

What's your thoughts on the Wago 221 wire connectors? I think they are much easier to use and a lot quicker to make splices. I know there a little pricy. Anyone using these connectors?
I think they are a great product, but I dislike the fact that there are mixed messages in their voltage ratings. UL indicates 600V if you read the datasheet, but the product is stamped with 300V, due to the rating according to other testing standards. This will mean an inspector could possibly make you jump through a lot more hoops to justify their use, if you intend to use them in a 600V application.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I think they are a great product, but I dislike the fact that there are mixed messages in their voltage ratings. UL indicates 600V if you read the datasheet, but the product is stamped with 300V, due to the rating according to other testing standards. This will mean an inspector could possibly make you jump through a lot more hoops to justify their use, if you intend to use them in a 600V application.

UL's ZMVV product category for "Voltage Rating" allows both 300v Max @ 20 amps, 1000V for light fixtures --typically less amps--, and the UL 486C certificate on the same data sheet.

UL 486C §7.2 "Current Cycling" for 1hr on 1hr off x 500 cycles takes several months, and may be rigorous, but its not a continuous-load test > 3 hrs.

WAGO's website shows all Lever-Nuts® with 2 listing standards:
IEC (EN 60xxx), Ambient, Series, UL (486C Non-Continuous)
450v, 32A, 105°c, 85°c, 221-41x, 600v, 20A, 75°C, 30°C, #24-12awg
450v, 41A, 105°c, 85°c, 221-61x, 600v, 30A, 75°C, 30°C, #20-10awg
450v, 32A, 85°c, +40°c, 222-41x, 600v, 20A, 75°C, 30°C, #28-12awg

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Also the way they are used vs a back-stab makes a huge difference. For example, on a receptacle with a back-stabbed conductor, everytime you plug/unplug something you are moving the receptacle slightly. That constant moving can loosen, or weaken, the connection. With a Wago type connector, the conductors are just inserted in the Wago itself. So pushing/moving the receptacle has no such effect on the connection in the Wago.
A receptacle also can put additional strain on the connection point when pushing the device into the box, probably does help to "train" the conductors before pushing in though, where with the Wago connector you typically will be pushing more on the conductors and not so much the connector itself when tucking them into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.