Walker/Trench Duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am estimating a job where the trench/Walker duct has aready been/or will be installed as part of another bid package when we get on site. We are going to have to pull the wires through this existing duct. I would guess that this would be a bit more labor intensive then pulling through pipe, correct?

Thanks.

charlietuna

just consider it as if it was a very long gutter physically--the first pulls are very easy and as more groups are installed it requires more time due to the other groups. if those ahead of you didn't tie groups together it makes it a whole lot easier..

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You will also need to know which type it is, one type has knockout stubs at regular intervals, that if properly installed just requires a hammer to remove the thin layer of concrete on top of it. The other type requires coring thru the concrete and the raceway with a coring machine and installing an insert, time consuming and expensive.

charlietuna

I don't think the stuff is cost effective. it is very expensive and not cheap to install, then always gets abandoned as the buildings get remodeled?? of course my known application was in office buildings. and be very careful when installing new circuits about damaging existing circuits...

mdshunk

charlietuna said:
then always gets abandoned as the buildings get remodeled??
Always? I dunno. When I find that sort of thing, it's like a bonanza for me. Cellular concrete raceway (spandeck), the same way. I just saved a ton of money when I run across Walkerduct and Spandeck.

charlietuna

We have been called to buildings where the "stuff" gets cored through by other trades and it gets very expensive at that point. in these same buildings had installed lots of undercarpet "flat cable", it too is very expensive material wise and easily damaged. I always thought it was easier(cost effective) to core a poke thru when an outlet was needed at a particular spot. and water leaks are both of these systems worst enemies..

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hillbilly1 can you expalin a little more about removing the concrete. The trench duct could be completely within the deck with no access showing? It show activation presets for the AV/POWER/TELECOMM on gthe details to go into the duct. The field guys may have to chip away at the deck to mount the presets? Thanks very much. Oh by the way I am taking a hands on 400 hours electrical training course in October( 5K..ouch but my union reimburses me) so I should be more field/installation knowledgable)

hillbilly1

Occupation
The presets, if properly done are no more than 1/2" below the surface, you need to know exactly where it runs and what centers they are on, the salamander idea is a good one, there is a thin metal cap covering the hole which is removed with a chisel, then depending on the brand of floor duct, the inserts will screw into the hole,(usually 2" pipe size) or is oval, and the insert has expansion type anchors that lock it into the hole. These systems were used a lot for cash wrap stations in the retail establishments, especially grocery stores. Mice love them, plenty of soybean based insulation to chew on.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Also there will be nothing showing on the surface, so a good set of as builts will help tremendously. Tapping on the concrete with a hammer will also help locate the presets.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks very much Hillbilly, like many people on this forum your really know your stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
We usually coat the caps with petroleum jelly which seeps thru the thin layer of concrete locating the caps. Hammertime!

That sounds good, we dump some sand in the caps then add some diesel fuel to the sand.

The effect is the same, nice stains in the cured concrete.

But I don't think the OP is installing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.