WATER HEATERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: WATER HEATERS

Tony, if your cousin was a master plumber, why would he want to take a pay cut to be an electrician?

Let me see,
No need to take them off to check. A visual inspection
are you saying these connections are just left sticking up in the air, and as you walk by you can see the wire nut?

Seems as though there are bigger issues here.

Roger

tonyi

Removing one cover screw to check doesn't strike me as a terrible hardship in terms of time.

Sounds like you're saying its OK if plumbers make lousy connections.

jimwalker

In Tampa they pay for what you know now,not what you might know 6 months from now.If we required journeyman cards things might be different.Down here one man with master is all you need, no it's not good but that's how it is.In pasco county they don't even have journeyman cards.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Tony,
Sounds like you're saying its OK if plumbers make lousy connections.
no, I'm the one one saying I don't run into this problem with kin folk or others.

You seem to be plagued with people drilling into your work, making bad connections, lawsuits, feeling the need to demo your mothers house for your wiring practice, the sky is falling, etc...

Were things that bad in the computer sales world that you would decided to subject yourself to this miserery? :D

Jim, I feel sorry for you being in the midst of all that out for #1 life style. To enlighten you, that is why (along with the sardine can living) I left your area of FL, and I am a fourth generation Floridian, (Bradenton)

I have found that I have made gains that probably would have never come about if I had stayed.

Roger

jimwalker

Roger often i feel like going back up north but then the temp falls to 40 or like tonight we will hit low 30's.
Most workers dream of the day the retire and can move to FL.
I been here 30 years and enjoy non crouded way of life (not talking about dn town Tampa)Also enjoy that our taxes are dam near nothing to yours and no state income tax.

tonyi

Originally posted by roger:
Were things that bad in the computer sales world that you would decided to subject yourself to this miserery? :D
I wasn't a salesman. I was an engineer - a test engineer for the last 10 years of that career. Its the nature of test engineers to find problems and envision scenarios that can break things.

Its certainly a different perspective than most have to look at something and say how might some installation fail in the future rather than how can it be made to appear to work today. When you've designed something to avoid failure modes, all that's left is correctness - basically you've cleared the mine field rather than carefully mapping a path through it.

I got out because quality no longer mattered in much of the computer business. I've often said its divine intervention that any common PC manages to boot up at all because of all the bugs present in its hardware and software. The last microprocessor commonly used in PC's that truly worked per spec was the 5th revision (circa 87') of the old 286 chip. Everything since then has been an errata disaster requiring major workarounds in BIOS's, operating systems, and applications.

Here, I have direct control over the quality of an installation and can feel good about the end result. To me this matters.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

OK Tony, what ever, I believe you. ;) ;) ;)

Roger

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Roger i have to jump in on this one....I too as you know am from the same area as Jim.Florida is such a transient state that alliance is something that most here don`t have a clue about.I grew up and trained in N.Y.C. and there you were a helper for 5 years before you were even not considered green.Here the pace is for production,we did over 2,000 homes this year alone.In the past 18 days we trimmed and finaled over 150 homes.As far as training, well that`s something some do and some don`t.We have alot of installers here that`s what they are INSTALLERS.ask them why a 3 way switch only works once when its flipped and they just don`t understand.I teach a combo.code,theory,how stuff works class on my own time for the guys that want to learn.But as far as like union classes to teach a trade....This is a right to work state ( still the good ole boy syndrom here)
Hopefully we get 10 electricians out of 150 guys in a company.I say this because this is what I encounter on a day to day basis.We have almost 150 guys in residential and there are MMM maybe 15 guys I would say are electricians.Guys that can do what ever is required from rough to trim,troubleshoot,bend pipe,hook up a transformer
retro fit.Yeah it`s sad but these are the facts.
Well I just had to put my 2 cents in,later

jimwalker

Like Allen said ,most down here only know how to do what we need done.They can pull home runs,wire circuits as they are drawn ,switch ,plug,hang fixtures.My wife can do all that but as to how it works she has no clue.Most big companies here hire enough real electricians to fix any mistakes they make.Good , no ,but that's what keeps cost down and wins the bids.
MERRY X MAS ALL

caj1962

Just curious as I read this post again, what would any of you consider a good electrician? x amount of years in the trade? Master or journeymans card? working knowlege of elctrical theory? all of the above or parts? maybe even things that I have left out. Yes I am fishing for a response and maybe I should start another topic. The company I work for has been looking for an electrician for 4 months now and cannot fill the bill on what they are requiring. So my question is, what do you guys think it takes?

jimwalker

What are they requiring? Duties? What exactly are they looking for ? and what are they paying?I am sure there are some journeymen with lets say 5 years that know what they are doing.Maybe the problem is your offering to little to attract a quality man?Not saying that is the case but dollars offered must be in line for the area your in.

Status
Not open for further replies.