What a bad generator install looks like

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I don’t think he is switching, just getting more capacity. Natural gas is nowhere near as common in the south as it is in the north. Nearest natural gas line to my house is close to 40 miles away. When installing larger generators in Atlanta, sometimes they would have to upgrade to a larger line and meter from the street.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I don’t think he is switching, just getting more capacity. Natural gas is nowhere near as common in the south as it is in the north. Nearest natural gas line to my house is close to 40 miles away. When installing larger generators in Atlanta, sometimes they would have to upgrade to a larger line and meter from the street.
I was just going by the pictures. That looks like NG line and regulator. My preference is actually propane and I have gas running down my side of the street. If something bad happens, is the NG even going to work?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This can really bite you in the nether regions. You have to make sure that you don't starve the generator when it fires up. I think one time I was looking at a generator for my house, and it was just 7kW, but I had to bump up one size on the gas line. No thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I was just going by the pictures. That looks like NG line and regulator. My preference is actually propane and I have gas running down my side of the street. If something bad happens, is the NG even going to work?
Depends on the kind of "bad" you get. Snowmageddon, probably OK; alien bombardment from outer space, probably not.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Probably second stage regulator, very common if the tank is not real close. I have one that’s dual fuel, normally runs on Natural gas, but if it’s interrupted, it automatically switches over to propane. Pulled it out of a store in Atlanta. Don’t see that often here, but pretty common on stores that are in earthquake prone zones.

hillbilly1

Occupation
This can really bite you in the nether regions. You have to make sure that you don't starve the generator when it fires up. I think one time I was looking at a generator for my house, and it was just 7kW, but I had to bump up one size on the gas line. No thanks.
I went out on a call on a new orange box store, the generator people were saying that something electrical was shutting the generator down after it transferred. Slowly brought the load on line breaker by breaker, with about 10% of the load on, the generator shut down. Went out to the generator, saw the 3/4” gas line ran to the 60 kw generator………

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Probably second stage regulator, very common if the tank is not real close. I have one that’s dual fuel, normally runs on Natural gas, but if it’s interrupted, it automatically switches over to propane. Pulled it out of a store in Atlanta. Don’t see that often here, but pretty common on stores that are in earthquake prone zones.
I believe we are required to have a second stage regulator. At least the last ones we did.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Just curious, why is he switching to propane from natural gas? Not enough NG to supply a 50KW?

It’s propane, and yes that’s the 2nd stage regulator. We have natural gas in most towns/cities here, but not in rural areas. This house sits in the middle of a several thousand acre tract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I went out on a call on a new orange box store, the generator people were saying that something electrical was shutting the generator down after it transferred. Slowly brought the load on line breaker by breaker, with about 10% of the load on, the generator shut down. Went out to the generator, saw the 3/4” gas line ran to the 60 kw generator………

I’m pretty certain that’s about to happen here as well. I met the gas man on site yesterday to discuss the 1.5” line the specs require as we are 100’ from the tank; he’s arguing the 3/4” line is acceptable. I had this same issue on the last 48kw I installed. I told them it was wrong, and they still argued with me when the unit shut down from fuel starvation and said something was wrong with the generator. They are working for the customer, not me, but I forwarded my concerns to the customer.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Could have had a Kohler in less than half that time, maybe much less. Is this the 60 kw, 3600 RPM, with the tiny 4 cylinder engine?

1800 rpm 4.5L

I don’t sell the 3600 rpm units. The cost difference between comparable models is only about $1500.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
1800 rpm 4.5L

I don’t sell the 3600 rpm units. The cost difference between comparable models is only about $1500.

I don't like the 3600 RPM units at all. They are smaller and lighter so I can see some places where they would be a good fit, but not my first choice

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With existing propane distant from the house and generator, you can sometimes avoid having to upsize the main line from the tank to the house by switching to a dual stage regulator system.
The main line will then carry propane at several psi, increasing the flow capacity of that line, with secondary regulators at the generator and the house dropping the pressure to the proper operating pressure for appliance without their own regulator.
If installing a propane source from scratch, you may design the system to carry full tank pressure all the way to the generator.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
You are running 60 KW on propane that is being vaporized in the storage tank? I would have thought something that large would draw enough to need a vaporizer. I guess if the tank is really large

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You are running 60 KW on propane that is being vaporized in the storage tank? I would have thought something that large would draw enough to need a vaporizer. I guess if the tank is really large

The specs on this unit call for no more than 80% fill on the tank, and it can’t draw vapor at less than 20%. They currently have a 250/gal tank for the 22kw unit but will install a larger tank next week when I set the new unit. Idk what size they’re going with, that’s between the customer and gas company. The 250/gal tank can only supply about 30/hrs of runtime under average load.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
They make electric vaporizers if you ever have the need for one. If you use an engine coolant heated one on a back up generator is they will freeze up if you don't have a block heater. They start and go up to speed before the coolant is warm and freeze up. Maybe not a real problem down south, but up here it's a royal PIA.

Zimmer-front.jpg

This is one, but there many