What clamp should I used if I have multi thickness panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newswebstar

Occupation
Electrical Engineering Student
I am currently facing a situation with some solar panels mounted on rails. Initially, all the modules were 40 mm thick. However, I recently encountered a problem where one of the modules suffered damage, and unfortunately, the specific model is no longer being manufactured.
Fortunately, I was able to procure some modules that have similar characteristics to the original ones. However, these modules are slightly thinner, with a thickness of 35 mm.

In light of this, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for a Midclamp that would allow me to securely join the two modules and still connect to the rail without any issues. I have attached an image of the equipment that I am searching for to provide more clarity on my requirements.
bMboNeu.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, the difference between the left-center-right panel is 5 mm on each side.
LOL! I was suggesting a spacer strip along the back edges so standard hardware would work.

This is based on my mental 3-D image which is in turn is based on your 2-D drawing.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't think there's any legit way to do this except to put end clamps on both panels where you have different thicknesses next to each other. Yes, that means a bigger gap, and hopefully you left the rail a bit long.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
These shim ideas are fine if you want to be 100% liable and unable to point a finger at the racking manufacturer if panels ever blow off the roof. Some of you may be fine with that. Personally it seems like a fair amount of trouble to go to in order to increase my liability.

Although I suppose that's a US concern. But Dominican Republic is hurricane country. I'd be installing all my mids and ends with a torque wrench if I worked there.

These shim ideas are fine if you want to be 100% liable and unable to point a finger at the racking manufacturer if panels ever blow off the roof. Some of you may be fine with that. Personally it seems like a fair amount of trouble to go to in order to increase my liability.

Although I suppose that's a US concern. But Dominican Republic is hurricane country. I'd be installing all my mids and ends with a torque wrench if I worked there.
Just seems extremely unlikely there will ever be a problem, and even yet more still highly unlikely that after the hurricane an insurance adjuster will be digging thru the wreckage and find a washer or shim and forensically piece everything together....🧐. I can send you a list of other things to worry about if you want 😉

newswebstar

Occupation
Electrical Engineering Student
I don't think there's any legit way to do this except to put end clamps on both panels where you have different thicknesses next to each other. Yes, that means a bigger gap, and hopefully you left the rail a bit long.
The solar system was installed 6 years ago, I just found out the rail is not long enough to use endclamps on both ends.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I am currently facing a situation with some solar panels mounted on rails. Initially, all the modules were 40 mm thick. However, I recently encountered a problem where one of the modules suffered damage, and unfortunately, the specific model is no longer being manufactured.
Fortunately, I was able to procure some modules that have similar characteristics to the original ones. However, these modules are slightly thinner, with a thickness of 35 mm.

In light of this, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for a Midclamp that would allow me to securely join the two modules and still connect to the rail without any issues. I have attached an image of the equipment that I am searching for to provide more clarity on my requirements.
bMboNeu.png

You could try a SnapNRack RL-universal mid clamp

They have different sized spacers:

pv_n00b

You can make it easier on yourself by moving the thinner module to the outside. So you only have to deal with the mismatch in thickness along one edge. I don't think there is a way to do this that is going to be legit but I have seen module swaps in arrays where it is obvious that there is a difference in thickness because the thinner module is lower than the others. Everyone just finds a way to make it work typically by putting something between the top of the frame and the clamp.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not being familiar with the hardware, why wouldn't a simple 1/2" wide strip of aluminum (or whatever compatible material) the right length and thickness work?

Not being familiar with the hardware, why wouldn't a simple 1/2" wide strip of aluminum (or whatever compatible material) the right length and thickness work?
That would be fine. There is nothing in the NEC requiring the panel mounting hardware and materials be "listed" or "listed for the purpose". My partner and I build our own ground mount racking system. The only thing with some sort of "home brew" setup is the bonding - you would need to bond each module or use a WEEB.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
That would be fine. There is nothing in the NEC requiring the panel mounting hardware and materials be "listed" or "listed for the purpose". My partner and I build our own ground mount racking system. The only thing with some sort of "home brew" setup is the bonding - you would need to bond each module or use a WEEB.
Do you have any pictures of your self built racking?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I asked because I suggested it in posts 2 and 4 and it was followed by more complicated solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.