What defines the difference between an electrical tester or an indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
My thanks to those who shared their view on the subject matter. My interest in pursuing this any further has been dampened.

To Iwire and Roger:

"A Working Class Hero is something to be"
"And now that I see you -you won't hear from me"

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ELA said:
My thanks to those who shared their view on the subject matter. My interest in pursuing this any further has been dampened.

To Iwire and Roger:

"A Working Class Hero is something to be"
"And now that I see you -you won't hear from me"

Well, suit yourself. If you are so torn up over this I certainly would not know how to console you.

You wanted opinions and you were given opinions, even if they weren't all to your liking or approval.

You should have stated in your opening post to "please leave organizations and manufacturers" (and even gars reference to dictionary.com) out of the conversation.

You have been here long enough to know how it works and when you are asking for opinions you will certainly get opinions, most here have at least one for every topic and some opinions are based on standards, codes, testing labs, manufacturers, etc... all of which may be included in a persons opinion.

Anyways, you're welcome to continue to participate here and I hope you choose to do so but, your posts and threads will not always end up leaving you in a state of bliss.

Roger

gar

Occupation
EE
081011-1241 EST

wptski:

Yes the red/green light is an indicator that tells the operator whether the actual shim placed in the shim verifier is within a preset tolerance of the shim call presented to the operator, and the shim verifier is the tester of the shim. Additionally the pallet carrying the part that the shim or shims go into can not escape from the station until the shim(s) to be inserted into the part are correct.

A little background for those that are not familiar with how an axle is built. The ring and pinion gears must be in a proper relationship with each other to provide a moderately low noise assembly (howl -- whine). A large percentage of these are assembled with shims to provide good and inexpensive positioning. The parts going into an individual assembly are gaged and from the measurement(s) the operator is told what size shim(s) to pick from a rack. Shims may be out of tolerance or the wrong ones put in a particular tube of the shim rack. The purpose of the verifier gage is to tell the operator whether the shim pulled from the rack is correct or not. Some of these stations run on a 12 to 15 second part-to-part cycle time.

Bill, relative to our other discussion on the preload machine they did pull the head and it has now been rebuilt. I am waiting for feedback on the nature of the failure of the clutch.

wptski

roger said:
Hmmmm, interesting. Just out of curiosity, if conversations here are not about learning, why do you visit here?

Roger
It's not about this whole forum. It's just one question and the answer shouldn't be a quote from a NEC, UL, etc., only your own opinion. If you can't form an opinion without opening a code book, you'd better stick to construction work, electrical maintainence is not for you.

Your getting off topic but being a hobbyist, HO and DIY'r, I just visist mostly to watch threads like this where a simple question gets twisted around and the OP gets ganged up on! Some of you guys can get pretty sarcastic, rude, crude and it's all allowed because they have been here a long time. I've been a victim of this, so I know how it goes.

mdshunk

Throw into this mess the "proving unit" that many european standards are requiring to be used to prove that an "indicator" works before and after each test it makes.

wptski

gar:

So in "your" opinion a simple unit the plugs into a receptacle with three LEDs and these lite up a certain way telling the user if the receptacle is properly wired is a tester, correct?

Surprised that they pulled the entire head to repair. Finally did something correct!:grin:

wptski

mdshunk said:
Throw into this mess the "proving unit" that many european standards are requiring to be used to prove that an "indicator" works before and after each test it makes.
What's wrong with that? Here, you just follow codes, they don't.

mdshunk

wptski said:
What's wrong with that? Here, you just follow codes, they don't.
Haven't said anything's wrong with it at all. I can understand, however, how a touchy person might think that. Good thing you're not touchy. Matter of fact, the requirement for the use of a proving unit is part of their "codes", else it likely wouldn't get used.

wptski

mdshunk said:
Haven't said anything's wrong with it at all. I can understand, however, how a touchy person might think that. Good thing you're not touchy. Matter of fact, the requirement for the use of a proving unit is part of their "codes", else it likely wouldn't get used.
They test their work, here your not required to.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
wptski said:
gar:

So in "your" opinion a simple unit the plugs into a receptacle with three LEDs and these lite up a certain way telling the user if the receptacle is properly wired is a tester, correct?
In "my" opinion, the device is a tester, and the three LED's are indicators. :cool:

gar

Occupation
EE
081011-1803 EST

bill:

The tester you are referencing does have one or more criteria that are used to control which LEDs to illuminate. and I would agree it is a tester. The criteria may be simply logic or possibly more than that.

gar

Occupation
EE
081011-2021 EST

A few comments about wptski.

He indicated above that he is "a hobbyist, HO and DIY'r". Actually I think he is much more. Thru, my discussions with him on this forum I have learned that he was a machine repairman in a large plant that I have had equipment in for maybe 35 years. The size of this plant is in excess of 2,000,000 sq-ft and sits on land of about 640/4 arces. There are many machine repairmen, electricians, and other trades in a plant of this size running 3 shifts. At one time they shipped on the order of 15,000 items per day.

Did we ever cross paths before in the last 35 years I do not know. However, even though his job was machine repair, meaning mechanical stuff, he has more knowledge of electrical measurements, electrical and mechanical troubleshooting, electrical circuits, and electrical theory than many electricans in the plant he worked in, or other plants. A broad background such as he appears to have is very important when it is necessary to keep machines working. Production is always important, especially these days with "just in time" production. As a supplier plant if you hold up a final assembly plant for 1 hour you are back charged about $300,000.

My needs when I am at a plant such his are usually for a jobsetter and electrican, less often for a machine repairman. Sometimes a problem may require all the trades.

The discussions I have had with Bill on this forum and reading his responses to other questions indicates he has a good handle on electrical problems.

So a DIY may have background you never realized.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
He also hangs out on Flukes forum, but that has nothing to do with this thread either.

And BTW Bill, FVF's 3.3 works with Vista.

Roger

wptski

gar:

Thanks for the kind words.:smile: Somewhere around 40 years ago, a basic appitude test deemed me too dumb to be a electrician, so I had to take my second choice. Fast forward to today, you have your choice of any trade no matter what, although your newly learned skills are tested along the way.

Roger:

Yes, I do hang in the Fluke Forum. I don't use Vista and you can download FVF v3.3>v3.4 patch but the changes are for the Fluke 289 only.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
wptski said:
gar:

Thanks for the kind words.:smile: Somewhere around 40 years ago, a basic appitude test deemed me too dumb to be a electrician, so I had to take my second choice. Fast forward to today, you have your choice of any trade no matter what, although your newly learned skills are tested along the way.

Roger:

Yes, I do hang in the Fluke Forum. I don't use Vista and you can download FVF v3.3>v3.4 patch but the changes are for the Fluke 289 only.

Bill, 3.3 works fine with my 189, I haven't bothered with 3.4.

Roger

gpedens

Tester or Indicator

Tester or Indicator

Might as well put in my 2 cents. My use of the term indicator or monitor implies a permanently installed device and a tester is a temporarily connected device. The same device may be used to perform both jobs. Take an LED for example. If it is permanently installed it is an indicator. If it is temporarily installed it is a tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.