What is the ampacity of eight current-carrying 10 THHN conductors installed in an ambient temperature of 100°F? (I am using NEC 2017)

Occupation
Engineer
I kept getting wrong values, and finally found the solution online.

Derating value x ampacity value
Derating value for 8 conductors = .7 (Table 310.15(B)(3)(a))
Ampacity value for #10 conductor in 75C column = 35 (Table 310.15(B)(16)
This gives the correct Answer of 25Amps -

So for this problem I have couple of questions.

1) The questions states THHN conductor - And in NEC 2017 - Table 310.15(B)(16) - 75C Column - there is NO mention of THHN insulation- and instead NOT use 90C column - which clearly includes the THHN insulation.
2) It says ambient temperature of 100F - so why don't I include this in the calculation and use Ambient Temperature Table 310.15(B)(2)(a)? Instead JUST use Table 310.15(B)(3)(a)??? I thought it's imperative to use the Ambient Temperature Table.
3) Finally - why don't I multiply times 8 - The question clearly says (... the ampacity of 8...) LOL

Any help - cause I feel like I am missing some obvious information, or this question is poorly written. Now I am worried about how to do these on the actual exam?

THANK YOU!!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
THHN is a 90° conductor so use the 90° amaopcity (40 amps) X the 8 conductor detrating (310.115(B)(#)(a) X the ambient adjustment from
310.,15(B()2)a) using the 90° column (0.91)

Occupation
Engineer
THHN is a 90° conductor so use the 90° amaopcity (40 amps) X the 8 conductor detrating (310.115(B)(#)(a) X the ambient adjustment from
310.,15(B()2)a) using the 90° column (0.91)
THANK YOU!!! LOL - that's the first thing I did that and then I multiplied by 8 conductors and got 203.84 - after that, I just went on a rabbit hole. LOL.. Thank you for the quick reply!!

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The answers to (1) and (2) are "you're right you do." Your first calculation happens to give the correct answer, but it's a coincidence, it's the wrong calculation.

As to (3), you can say "25A each" if you like. #10 conductors are not allowed to be paralleled, so there would be no compliant way to use 8 of them to carry a current of 200A. And a circuit requires more than 1 conductor, so putting all 8 in parallel wouldn't let you have a circuit.

Cheers, Wayne