What the do you call these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is there a name for the surface box covers where the receptacle or switch mounts to the cover instead of mounting to the box?

Like this:

g1950_in-use-photo.jpg

I'd like to spec. these for unfinished areas without calling them "those surface mounted device covers where the device fastens to the cover."

iwire

Staff member
I call them 'Mulberry covers' as well but if I am writing a stock list I would put

4" Square raised cover for double decora

or

4 11/16" square raised cover for single pole switch and duplex,

etc.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I call them RS covers old steelcity name

Similar; RS (raised switch) switch cover or RS receptacle cover. In this case, 2 gang decora RS cover.

Careful to watch what the clerk gives you. I had more than one clerk to confuse these with mud rings when ordering by phone.

John120/240

1900 box with a two gang Decora Industrial Cover. Slang is regional. A carbonated drink: Soda, or Pop, or Soda Pop. Sometimes "Coke" is used generically to refer to any carbonated drink.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a name for the surface box covers where the receptacle or switch mounts to the cover instead of mounting to the box?

Like this:

View attachment 11874

I'd like to spec. these for unfinished areas without calling them "those surface mounted device covers where the device fastens to the cover."
As others have said, we also call them "RS" covers as in "Raised Surface". Looks like you have a "RS" cover for a "1900" or a "11B" (4 11/16" box) Double Decora. Sooooooooo.....you would order a "RS 1900 (or 11B) Double Decor".....:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.