what to do about fuel costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyho

Wshoard, thanks for the correction. I got my info at Pace University powerscorecard.org. (Or something like that) All I know is that it's a lot and we need alternative sources but that is a "horse of a different color".

ItsHot

rates

rates

bobbyho said:
It's official, I am now over $5.00 a gallon for diesel. $5.09 to be exact. Anyone have ideas how to deal with this. I don't really mean the usual pass it on to the customer but more in lines as far as how to do business differently. Maybe a smaller vehicle and attack it like they do in Europe. We will be there soon so I figure it's time to come up with another plan. I have a Sprinter and it does great but $180.00 to 200 to fill up, I (we) need a contigency plan. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to deal with the new reality.
Raise your rates!:roll:

mtec

We do 80% construction, and have went to 4 10hr days. this cut out 1 trip to and from a week. about $1000 savings per truck per year. the guys like the 3 day weekend

e57

Those paying $5+ for diesel should and have every right to riot in the street IMO! The "splash and dash" has been going on for a while and doing some funny things to that price. And we all should be mad because 'supply & demand' have been turned on end, as numerous articals like this one suggest. I think we are getting the gasoline version of Enron.... Because apparently there is no shortage of supply, refiners are not scrambeling to buy more, and actual demand has gone down slightly. Someone is making a lot of money....

bobbyho

Guys, let me rephrase where I was going with the question. I did not mean, how are you going to handle it economically. Naturally, it is going to have to be passed on to the customer. What I meant was, how are you going to handle this logistially? Like the latest post said, he is changing to a 4 day week, saving a trip. That is what I meant. How do we react to this new reality proactively and not reactivly?

bobbyho said:
Guys, let me rephrase where I was going with the question. I did not mean, how are you going to handle it economically. Naturally, it is going to have to be passed on to the customer. What I meant was, how are you going to handle this logistially? Like the latest post said, he is changing to a 4 day week, saving a trip. That is what I meant. How do we react to this new reality proactively and not reactivly?

Honestly, I would evaluate your situation, see what work you do the most of, what you absolutely need to do most of your work, how small a vehicle you can stuff it in reasonably, and what type of driving you do the most of. If you can get most of your equipment in a SUV and you do mostly city (stop and go) driving, a hybrid (GMC Yukon) might be right. Assuming you can afford a new vehicle.

Like someone else said, they take their car on estimates and errands, that would help too, if your car is fuel efficient.

On another note, pretty much all of the "fuel saver" devices are bunk. The only reason I buy K&N air filters is because I tend to keep cars for a few years and they pay off that way.

One last note. Keep your truck maintained and in good working order, including running fuel system cleaner at every oil change, and replacing filters when you're supposed to can help your fuel economy. I drive a 96 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 L DOHC V6 an average of 60 miles a day just between work and home and average about 26.5 MPG.

Sparky555

bobbyho said:
It's official, I am now over $5.00 a gallon for diesel. $5.09 to be exact. Anyone have ideas how to deal with this. I don't really mean the usual pass it on to the customer but more in lines as far as how to do business differently. Maybe a smaller vehicle and attack it like they do in Europe. We will be there soon so I figure it's time to come up with another plan. I have a Sprinter and it does great but $180.00 to 200 to fill up, I (we) need a contigency plan. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to deal with the new reality.

As you don't like the "charge more" advice of my previous post, I'll try another that you may be using already. For years I would go to bid a job (residential service), go back to the office to work up the bid, then make a second trip for the installation. Now I bid the job in the truck with the materials for the installation. Half the travel.

Dave

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This about says it all-- so you must charge accordingly.

gas-prices.jpg

ohm

I drive a 24' E450 van filled with every known tool, meter, and lined w/ bins full of supplies. I rarely travel over 20 miles (usually 5 or less) and charge the same to travel as I do for on-site. This helps pay for the fact that it cost me $.50 per mile for fuel. Oh, I redirected my 401k into energy related stocks (make 3x in them as I did working).

Rampage_Rick

Tip: Don't make this your daily driver

sig.jpg

I just put in a Driver Info Center out of an Escalade. I cringe when it sits at 10 MPG and go manic-depressive when it hits 5 MPG, and I'm currently running 94 octane. (Corvette engine tune) I was happier when I didn't know the millage I was getting every step of the way.

At least I get a monthly fuel allowance from work, but it's a fixed amount, so it's now only equal to 2.5 fillups. Used to be worth 4. I paid $5.45 /gal for what's in the tank right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.