What would you do....

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

...in this situation?

0422071836yp9.jpg

0422071836agc4.jpg

0422071837tt2.jpg

Besides add a strap at the top of the hub someplace....

sparkydon

wow...

wow...

that's a very "artsy" bend there..'as far as melonscratchers go, that one's a honeydoodle' - ned flanders

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I was recently in Va, beach. Siding seems to be popular. A guy could make a living there just strapping SEC.

flash hazard

Yikes!! We get alot of calls from siders to reattach meters and service drops but I would have to walk away (far away) from that one!

Kinda hard to tell but that doesn't look like much of a drip loop at the weather head.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I would move the service to the right side of the garage, on a mast. Then I'd call the phone / cable companies and tell them to do the same. This should have been done when that garage was added on.

flash hazard

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I would move the service to the right side of the garage, on a mast. Then I'd call the phone / cable companies and tell them to do the same. This should have been done when that garage was added on.

Thats a good call on the phone and cable, I didn't even notice them. They don't look very high. I wonder if the have similar height clearances as power?

Celtic
Is your main concern the SE cable that is looped in front of the gutter?

I have seen this done before in a neater manner. I can say this could be done in a neater fashion, but I do not see it as presenting too much of a hazard. For those who do not install SE cable much, this may seem to be a disaster waiting to happen. SE cable has been installed in our area for as long as I can remember, maybe a little longer. There is not much of a problem with this type of installation. For SE cable, the biggest problems are aging and accidents from other trades when they are not paying attention. Aging is a problem for all electrical installations.

celtic

I had the benefit of being able to see this in person...I wouldn't know what the hell it was looking at my screen

stickboy1375

I actually give the guy credit for making that bend in RMC...... just missing a few straps... like Celtic said in another post, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :cool:

celtic

emahler said:
never mind...celtic posted 3 posts during my one...
I got mad skills ....you know the price ;)

stickboy1375 said:
... like Celtic said in another post, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :cool:

I stole that line from someone else on this forum :grin:

Brady Electric

What would you do?

What would you do?

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Good eye, it looks like PVC out of a hot box to me. I would do like LawnGuyLandSparky. If the panel needed to stay where it is inside I would set a 4 circuit main panel on the other side of the garage and run 4 wire to a sub-panel where the original is. I also think it may be possible to use pvc 45's where it is now to make it a little neater and strap it more. (or drill a hole in the gutter and go straight up)(Just Kidding)Semper Fi. Buddy

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look like pipe to me. Darn straight for SEC and it's round so it would be a SER. Unless my eyes are deceiving me I will go with conduit.

Service Drop doesn't appear to meet the NEC regulations either

Edit: sorry I missed the whole second page-- didn't realize conduit was already discussed..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.