What Year NEC Code Has Your State Adopted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The process of adoption is scrambled between state and local governments. This has caused major life & safety concerns.

State adoption does not equal code compliance.

New construction is the only process where designers, builders, and inspectors come together with some kind of code compliance in mind.

Major life & safety concerns is what happens after certificate of occupancy.

The industry remodelers, property management / maintenance employees, repair-service contractors, handy persons, and owner builders are the unqualified persons who wreck property, by installing fire hazards no insurance is required to cover.

Government can't prevent these train wrecks, it can only request a piece of their action, via income tax, business license, payroll & WC for laborers, and perhaps a builders license, if sufficient leverage exists to impose it.

The major life and safety ignorance is bliss for consumers, home centers, salvage brokers, fuel stations, truck sales, grocery stores, etc., that all cash in on a free market economy.

Those HVAC or plumbing suppliers refusing parts sales without a trade license are seeing the rug pulled out from under them, by Amazon.com, Grainger.com, and king Mickey Mouse.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Representatives from the auto industry stated that they had all the safety issues under control, but the majority of the NFPA commission members were not satisfied. I will monitor these concerns.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It would really be interesting to see real statistics comparing electrocution deaths, injuries, and fires in states “falling behind” vs states quickly adopting the latest codes.
That's pretty much how things are done here in New Jersey about three years after it's released the new version gets adopted.

NYC is still on the 2008 NEC i wonder if people are dying at a much higher rate there when compared to those in locales that have adopted to 2020.

garbo

Side note: While at an IAEI continuing education class and our state was stuck on the 2008 cycle for at least 8 years a very respectable inspector asked if we would install a new product that was not in the old code book. He started out as an electrician, then had his own electrical business before becoming an inspector. He stated that he would not because of liability issues. I never had a claim on my liability insurance but turned down jobs that I was not qualified for or had a bad felling.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Side note: While at an IAEI continuing education class and our state was stuck on the 2008 cycle for at least 8 years a very respectable inspector asked if we would install a new product that was not in the old code book. He started out as an electrician, then had his own electrical business before becoming an inspector. He stated that he would not because of liability issues. I never had a claim on my liability insurance but turned down jobs that I was not qualified for or had a bad felling.

When the customer becomes the "Electrical Inspector" it's time to move on.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Personally I appreciate that California is 3 years behind, as it gives the manufacturers time to adapt. Here it is 2023 and I'm just seeing meter/mains with the 'emergency disconnect' sticker on them. Also gives me a lot more time to study and be ready for code changes and not have to issue change orders to customers who sign up right when the nee code is published.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
State adoption does not equal code compliance.

New construction is the only process where designers, builders, and inspectors come together with some kind of code compliance in mind.

Major life & safety concerns is what happens after certificate of occupancy.

The industry remodelers, property management / maintenance employees, repair-service contractors, handy persons, and owner builders are the unqualified persons who wreck property, by installing fire hazards no insurance is required to cover.

Government can't prevent these train wrecks, it can only request a piece of their action, via income tax, business license, payroll & WC for laborers, and perhaps a builders license, if sufficient leverage exists to impose it.

The major life and safety ignorance is bliss for consumers, home centers, salvage brokers, fuel stations, truck sales, grocery stores, etc., that all cash in on a free market economy.

Those HVAC or plumbing suppliers refusing parts sales without a trade license are seeing the rug pulled out from under them, by Amazon.com, Grainger.com, and king Mickey Mouse.
Grainger is a laugh. Just a few years ago, they proudly stated that they sold only to businesses, not individuals. Now they advertise on radio and the web.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you go to the NEC website and look at the many sub committees and members (mostly companies) protecting their products., you will see a major operation. Is it for safety, money or both ? I would like a discussion on code making policy.
Money and power mainly. Safety gets the big banner to win public acceptance. My view of authority is always on the side of caution, on a good day. Authorities by their very nature love to make rules and intimidate others into following them. Those who can influence the authorities love the money it brings them.

Status
Not open for further replies.