Where does it come from?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Ah yes. Missed something in reading…

we target irrigation, sawmills, and small industrial. They wont spend the money to fix their poor pf..
In our state utilities stopped charging PF penalties some 40 years ago. I don't think they have ever since.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In our state utilities stopped charging PF penalties some 40 years ago. I don't think they have ever since.
We very seldom do now since the power provider stopped our pf penalties.
at this moment we have one account we bill for. Their pf is <70% and we have discussed this with them repeatedly. Its a sawmill

topgone

The label range on the start caps I have in my good stuff collection is about 8% to the plus or minus.

2650*1 amp / 25 volts=106 Mfd
2653*1/25=106.12

1704*1/25=68 ??? I don't understand this one.
Sorry to confuse you. The effect of using a smaller capacitor value is that you decrease the current passing across the capacitor. From your sample figures, choosing a 68 uF will allow only = 25V/ 39ohms = 0.6 A while using a 108 uF capacitor will have a 25/25 = 1 A.

kwired

Electron manager
Ah yes. Missed something in reading…

we target irrigation, sawmills, and small industrial. They wont spend the money to fix their poor pf..
Is the penalty significant enough to encourage them to correct it? Or at least to correct it according to corresponding load changes when necessary or to self monitor so that they know when a correction capacitor is failed and needs repaired/replaced?