Where is the armature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

What is considered the armature in a simple one loop motor? Is it the shaft that turns the wires, the wires or the whole thing?

Besoeker

In AC machines, the armature is stationary and is called stator.

Electrical
Armature: The power-producing component of an alternator, generator, dynamo or motor. The armature can be on either the rotor or the stator.

Sahib

Electrical
Armature: The power-producing component of an alternator, generator, dynamo or motor. The armature can be on either the rotor or the stator.
That definition is for both DC and AC rotating machines.
My last post singled out AC rotating machines.

Besoeker

I never said so.
" In AC machines, the armature is stationary and is called stator. "
Is what you stated in post #3.
The definition in post #4 clearly does not support your categoric contention.

Anyway, IRL, I have never seen or heard armature used for anything other the the moving part of either a DC rotating machine or relay or contactor.
The stationary part of an AC machine is usually referred to as the stator and the moving part as the rotor.

I accept that, in your vast experience of rotating plant, you may have stumbled across other terminology.
I've given you mine. I'm done.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In the interests of forum harmony, may I respectfully decline your very polite, kindly, well-intentioned, generous, noble, and magnanimous offer?
And that's the great thing about the British: they have that ability to deliver a devastating verbal slam while still being unfailingly polite. (Now I must go slap myself for stereotyping).
:slaphead:

rcwilson

The older generators at Snoqulamie Falls hydro plant (1890's?) near Seattle have the three-phase 2300V power windings on the rotating shaft (rotor) with slip rings to bring the AC power out. The DC field is on the stationary frame. It is an AC machine with the "armature" on the rotor. It worked for many decades buried in an underground cavern.

Exception that proves the rule? Almost all AC machines have a stationary armature. We won't talk about linear AC motors, ....yet.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Learn from me. It is there: In AC rotating machines, the armature is stationary and is called stator.
I never went to school for motors but for as long as I have known what to call what AC induction motors have a stator and a rotor. Stators stay put, rotors rotate.

Armatures don't come into play unless the motor is DC or universal. In those motors the armatures move round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and.....

mivey

Anyway, IRL, I have never seen or heard armature used for anything other the the moving part of either a DC rotating machine or relay or contactor.

The stationary part of an AC machine is usually referred to as the stator and the moving part as the rotor.
We must recognize that field terminology often diverges from the fundamentals. Unless we occasionally go back and look we may adopt the field use and forget the basics.

I know you know this but to re-cap: the voltages can be generated by rotating the windings through a magnetic field, rotating a magnetic field past the windings, or varying the reluctance with rotor rotation. Any of these vary the flux linking the coil and thus create the voltage.

Anyway, we normally have the armature as the rotor for DC machines and as the stator for AC machines. As was posted, there can be exceptions.

It may be a bitter pill but dust off the old motors book on the shelf and you will see that Sahib was right, at least on that point. Sorry for the quick drive-by posting without references but I'm running late as it is.

kwired

Electron manager
That definition is for both DC and AC rotating machines.
My last post singled out AC rotating machines.

Don't you see a conflict in that statement. How can it apply to both AC and DC yet when it is AC it is different:?:?

My offer declined. What about rcwilson's offer?

Where he said:
Almost all AC machines have a stationary armature.

Notice he used the word "almost" in there. That kind of lowers the meaning of the word "all" in this instance.

mivey

Don't you see a conflict in that statement. How can it apply to both AC and DC yet when it is AC it is different:?:?
Because Besoeker's definition includes both.

Notice he used the word "almost" in there. That kind of lowers the meaning of the word "all" in this instance.
If Sahib meant "all" then he was wrong.

Besoeker pointed out that the armature can be on the rotor or stator, he just never hears people in the field talking about the AC armature but rather just a stator and rotor. I guess he was not really saying that the AC stator is not the armature, just that you usually don't hear it referred to as an armature.

Status
Not open for further replies.