Where is the armature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Because Besoeker's definition includes both.

If Sahib meant "all" then he was wrong.

Besoeker pointed out that the armature can be on the rotor or stator, he just never hears people in the field talking about the AC armature but rather just a stator and rotor. I guess he was not really saying that the AC stator is not the armature, just that you usually don't hear it referred to as an armature.

My conflict was with what Sahib said. You can't say that something applies to both AC and DC, then turn around in the next breath and say AC is different.

OK, you can say it, because he did, but it sure seems conflicting to me.

Eddy Current

We must recognize that field terminology often diverges from the fundamentals. Unless we occasionally go back and look we may adopt the field use and forget the basics.

I know you know this but to re-cap: the voltages can be generated by rotating the windings through a magnetic field, rotating a magnetic field past the windings, or varying the reluctance with rotor rotation. Any of these vary the flux linking the coil and thus create the voltage.

Anyway, we normally have the armature as the rotor for DC machines and as the stator for AC machines. As was posted, there can be exceptions.

It may be a bitter pill but dust off the old motors book on the shelf and you will see that Sahib was right, at least on that point. Sorry for the quick drive-by posting without references but I'm running late as it is.

So when referring to AC Motors the armature is the same thing just called something different (Stator)?

mivey

"In AC machines, the armature is stationary and is called stator" doesn't appear to allow any other possibility.
I see.

My conflict was with what Sahib said. You can't say that something applies to both AC and DC, then turn around in the next breath and say AC is different.

OK, you can say it, because he did, but it sure seems conflicting to me.
OK

mivey

So when referring to AC Motors the armature is the same thing just called something different (Stator)?
They are different, it is just that the stator usually serves as the armature in an AC machine.

Jack and Jill can both buy the groceries. We have Jack, Jill, and grocery-buyer. Suppose that today Jack played the role of grocery-buyer. We could legitimately call him today's grocery-buyer but we usually just call him Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.