Which ones are hot?

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
And we can also see that whoever did this work had no clue on tightening screws and how wires should wind closed and not open.

macmikeman

And we can also see that whoever did this work had no clue on tightening screws and how wires should wind closed and not open.

I was kinda thinking the lack of a cable connector and a ko sealing patch on the open bottom end of the surface receptacle outlet might get more attention....

Next time I see a thread in the "education" sub forum, maybe I'll just stay out of it , cause this one makes no sense to me at all........

macmikeman

Maybe you guys have volt tic eyes, cause I can't see the actual voltage on the white connector in the picture. I'll admit it's all my fault because I only have a flip phone and not one of those fancy smart phones most of you modern fella's got. My phone don't have Flir capabilities...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Education might be the wrong forum. I got the lesson. I assumed the three wire receptacle meant we would change out the 4 wire cord on their dryer. Noticing it was a new device I wondered if it could possibly have 4 wire. It was a brand new circuit. Never used. My T+ Pro showed me where the electrons were. Another lesson. One of the very few DIY projects I've come across that were imminently deadly. Not to mention the dryer damage that would have occurred. Now the whole frickin remodeled house with new switches and lighting is suspect. Tell me how I should broach that lesson to the proud new owners. My daughter and husband.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I am not quite sure I understand dryer damage. Millions of these are miswired by (I was going to say bargain appliance stores) all the time. Not limited to them though. I always look. I did a rewire a while back, the old had a 10/2 and told the guy, no way no how, you got to buy a new wire and am not putting old recept in. I have a rental, woman brought her dryer, I checked, cord that was on it wired wrong and they didnt even bother with a connector. Come from a best buy or something like that. I had installed a new circuit, said great, hers came 4 wire cord but the store lands G and N on same terminal. More living proof that cause they have a sign and sell that they dont give a crap about customers.
I remember back in the day, was out of town and wanted an oil change and went to this station and I am watching and figure out the sprout there does not have a clue. turns out its his first day and owner leaves him there to service cars while he went golfing.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, take a look. My neighbor had a handyman wire a garage, fed it from the house and he called me to give it a look. Some good and some bad. the good, he used a UF wire and buried it deep enuf and had right breaker. The incoming was kind of boogered, solved it with a pipe and I added ground rods. He had landed Nand G on the N buss like he say in mains,,, which isnt great but didnt install a bond,,, so we put in a bar and sepoarate them, I add a couple connectora and a gfci and a switch entering another outbuilding was fed from this. He had unprotected piece of cable got hit by the blind owner, it was up out of the way.
All easy stuff really and then we got to the boxes, I opened them and he did a rather nice job of those, he connected the grounds and hooked the wire to the devices, was actually pretty good and didnt open every one. As I mention I add gfci. Open some boxes, he made a mistake on this outlet, its obvious but doesnt mean all of it is boogered.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I am not quite sure I understand dryer damage. Millions of these are miswired by (I was going to say bargain appliance stores) all the time. Not limited to them though. I always look. I did a rewire a while back, the old had a 10/2 and told the guy, no way no how, you got to buy a new wire and am not putting old recept in. I have a rental, woman brought her dryer, I checked, cord that was on it wired wrong and they didnt even bother with a connector. Come from a best buy or something like that. I had installed a new circuit, said great, hers came 4 wire cord but the store lands G and N on same terminal. More living proof that cause they have a sign and sell that they dont give a crap about customers.
I remember back in the day, was out of town and wanted an oil change and went to this station and I am watching and figure out the sprout there does not have a clue. turns out its his first day and owner leaves him there to service cars while he went golfing.
I recently wired a duplex no appliance's at leasing. Got a call from the renter who claimed to be a appliance installer for lowes. His words the breakers bad it trips right a way (gfci 30amp) I said send me a picture of the connection inside the dryer he brought. Guess what no surprise nuetral and ground on the nuetral with jumper still installed. I called him back and sent him 2 pictures so he could see where he was messing up and all worked. I feel like I've done my duty as a citizen since now there's 1 less appliance installer who will mess this up in the future.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I am not quite sure I understand dryer damage.
My take on it is he landed a hot on the neutral. Probably then wired the cord to the existing dryer so it would work.

Then along comes someone with the cord and plug attached to the dryer the right way, plugs it in and then the whole metal dryer cabinet is hot

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My take on it is he landed a hot on the neutral. Probably then wired the cord to the existing dryer so it would work.

Then along comes someone with the cord and plug attached to the dryer the right way, plugs it in and then the whole metal dryer cabinet is hot
You've got most of it. The house was remodeled but no one ever moved in, until my daughter bought it. Dry outlet never used.

macmikeman

Which ones are hot?

messy_wiring_in_junction_box_4.jpg

Ok, I know I am being silly now, but the op was worded in a manner that nobody except the poster would have been able to know the neutral was improperly hooked up to a phase at the panel. And again, the original picture had glaring other code violations staring at the viewers which further complicated the question as to what was the real inquiry. By the way, don't you just love it when you come across 4" square boxes with just about every conduit entry hole having a conduit full of wires enter?

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I see you found one of my jobs in the attic from back in the day before I knew anything about box fill and had a guy yelling up,,, we done yet. Seemed happy that it all worked.