Which ones are hot?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Which ones are hot?

messy_wiring_in_junction_box_4.jpg

Ok, I know I am being silly now, but the op was worded in a manner that nobody except the poster would have been able to know the neutral was improperly hooked up to a phase at the panel. And again, the original picture had glaring other code violations staring at the viewers which further complicated the question as to what was the real inquiry. By the way, don't you just love it when you come across 4" square boxes with just about every conduit entry hole having a conduit full of wires enter?
My aunt's house had a 4" 'junction box' in the back cellar with all sorts of wires all twisted together and soldered. Too big a connection to have a cover on it. The house was sold 'as-is.' Don't know if the new owners did anything about it.

garbo

Johnnie home owner almost connected the ground wire properly. Should be clock wise. Why the NEC or others never forced the electric dryer manufacturers years ago to use a 240 volt motor and and a less then $15 transformer to supply control power and drum luminare. The few dollars more would be a lot cheaper then running 10/3 cable & additional cost for a 4 wire 30 amp receptacle & 4 wire cord set.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Which ones are hot?

messy_wiring_in_junction_box_4.jpg

Ok, I know I am being silly now, but the op was worded in a manner that nobody except the poster would have been able to know the neutral was improperly hooked up to a phase at the panel. And again, the original picture had glaring other code violations staring at the viewers which further complicated the question as to what was the real inquiry. By the way, don't you just love it when you come across 4" square boxes with just about every conduit entry hole having a conduit full of wires enter?
Just add a couple/3 box extenders and the fill problem goes away... (;

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Johnnie home owner almost connected the ground wire properly. Should be clock wise. Why the NEC or others never forced the electric dryer manufacturers years ago to use a 240 volt motor and and a less then $15 transformer to supply control power and drum luminare. The few dollars more would be a lot cheaper then running 10/3 cable & additional cost for a 4 wire 30 amp receptacle & 4 wire cord set.
The reason is they don’t know the end user voltage, could be 240, could be 208 (apartments and condos) the motors were not dual volt rated, so 120 it is, because it was available on both voltages. Now it’s easy to do because the can use inverters, and drum lighting can be auto volt led.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The reason is they don’t know the end user voltage, could be 240, could be 208 (apartments and condos) the motors were not dual volt rated, so 120 it is, because it was available on both voltages. Now it’s easy to do because the can use inverters, and drum lighting can be auto volt led.
Now it's easy and alot of motors are going DC with drivers for many functions so they can expand their market reach.