whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

select

where in the code does it say fixture whips can be no longer then 6 feet long, and when they can be longer if a ground wire is provided

bigjohn67

Re: whips

I may be wrong but whips are that long because code states that they do not have to be supported at that length.
Has nothing to do with the grounding conductor.

You can run a full 250' roll of 12/2 mc to a fixture out in the middle of the desert, as long it is supported per code.

[ March 28, 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: bigjohn67 ]

physis

There's 348.60

And there are some other relevant sections that I'm too tired (lazy) to look for.

drg

Select ,seeing that you mentioned adding a ground wire I'm guessing your using FMC, if so try reading 250.118 (5)(6) and see if this helps you any.
Nec 2002

[ March 29, 2005, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: drg ]

allenwayne

Once you add a grounding conductor it is a wiring method as long as you secure it within required lenghts it is fine.Pipe FMLC,emt what ever.Once you turn it into a whip the game changes ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I'm confused. Is "whip" the slang term I think it is, or is there a definition of a whip? I have a couple A/C whips in my truck. They have a grounding conductor in them, since it's LFNC.

I thought whip was slang. :confused:

drg

Yes , whip would be a slang term for a short section of various conduits or cable systems.

Whips of MC between luminaires.
Whip of LFMC for your A/C unit to the disconnect.
Whips of FMC for the roof top units.
Whips of NM connecting your can lights .

I never gave it much thought before you asked about "slang" , just a thing you get used to and don't put much thought into, good call though and glad you asked .

What these game rules and stuff Allenwayne is talking about I agree that he should explain after making comments like that.

allenwayne

Originally posted by electricman2:
Once you turn it into a whip the game changes
What determines whether or not it is a "whip" and what are the "game" rules?
For one as long as it is a recognized wiring method be it mc,carlex, greenfield.As long as it is installed and supported it is pipe in one way shape or form.Once you leave the surface of the structure it becomes a (slang) Whip and can`t exceed 6 ft.Any flexible conduit can be both a wiring method supported in accordance with the NEC and a whip no longer than 6 ft :D Show me an article that contradicts this and I as I have done before sit up and have a serving of that dreaded humble pie ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Once you leave the surface of the structure it becomes a (slang) Whip and can`t exceed 6 ft.Any flexible conduit can be both a wiring method supported in accordance with the NEC and a whip no longer than 6 ft :D Show me an article that contradicts this and I as I have done before sit up and have a serving of that dreaded humble pie :D

There's 6' rules for various items mentioned above, but no real common "whip" theory. Is there a "whip section" I don't know about? :D

Perhaps this just comes from LFNC's 6' requirement (356.12(3))?

allenwayne

Ok george I concede but in essence the jist is the same :D Once we leave the building structure we have a whip that allows for flexible movement IE: a suspended A/H/U.Go to a condensing unit and it has to be supported as pipe and within the required distance of the J box :D or am I missing some thing here ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, what are the NEC guide lines? Please give an article and section just to prove a point and that you own a code book.

Yeah, I'm picking on you. :p

Roger

allenwayne

Roger you are the one that has brought up the point that it Might be not code compliant what article are you using to enforse this belief :D we need to teach the new commers what we have learned over the years that we both don`t want to admit we are part of :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen,
Roger you are the one that has brought up the point that it Might be not code compliant
read this whole thread and tell me where I brought this up. :) :eek:

Roger

[ March 30, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

bigjohn67

Id like to ask this question:

What in the difference is "daisy chaining" mc from fixture to fixture or running thhn thru troffer fixtures or even 2x4 layin fixtures butted together used as the race way with a small nipple for connection between?

[ March 30, 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: bigjohn67 ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Well, 410.31 and 410.32 make a big deal that the fixtures need to be designed for such an installation (being used as a raceway).

Maybe I haven't seen enough different types of fluorescent fixtures, but I don't see the problem. Maybe somebody can point to what I'm missing.

But 410.32 states that if the fixtures aren't designed for end-to-end connection, they can be looped by any recognized wiring method (the MC "whips", NM cable).

I also question the need for 410.14(B), which requires us to use the big hole in the center of the fixture if there is a box concealed above the fixture. If there is a problem in the box above a mushroom, we have to take the light down. Why is it different for fluorescents? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.