whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn67

Re: whips

Well show me a floresent fixture that does not have an optional KO at both ends and a "troff" type covering the wireway covering the ballast.

Personally, the code book has gotten as complicated and full of interpretations as doing your taxes at the end of the year.

They can write all they want, it all boils down to what your local inspector will allow. If something happens, point the finger at them, they approved it!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Allen, I can run LFNC 90' to a harbenturger and then use it as a doobenblarben to the defibrillator. Show me a code article that says I can't. :D

Yes, you are describing a legal install, but the concept that there is a magic "whip" section is what we're taking issue with. It's a slippery slope, why shove someone down that path?

Each raceway must be installed per it's code. If there are similarities, great, but don't rely on those similarities to stay the same, in place. Next thing you know, LFNC can be 8' long. Whoops. You see what I mean? It's not mean-spirited, it's just in the interest of being 100% correct in our discussions.

If discussions around here were 60% accurate, we'd be confusing the hell out of each other, is what I mean. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hello Pierre,
Originally posted by pierre:
It's good to see one southerner picking on another southerner. :D
don't get to excited, Allen is a Yankee. :D

Allen, I still don't believe you own a code book.

You said,
Once you add a grounding conductor it is a wiring method as long as you secure it within required lenghts it is fine.Pipe FMLC,emt what ever.Once you turn it into a whip the game changes
so are you saying under 6' you don't have to have a recognized EGC?

You said,
Roger you are the one that has brought up the point that it Might be not code compliant
and I asked you to point where this was, which you haven't had the courtesy to answer.

You said,
In my post I said that carflex ETC. can be a recognized wiring assy.Show me where it can`t
nobody said it can't be, so what was the reason for your question?

When making statements of a code related nature, you should provide some reference for the others using the forum.

See Georges' March 31, 2005 10:28 PM post.

Just for fun, give us the code articles for NM, LFNMC, LFMC, AC, and MC. ;)

Roger

[ April 01, 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

drg

"Code book scmood book" who needs that to run LFNMC or know what LSMFT means , hes a seat of the pants type of guy thats all that matters.

allenwayne

Just for fun to me that is going up a canal to wait on the reds that are coming to feed as the day breaks :D .
Guess i just took it for granted that some of us know without definitve articles to reference ;) Never had formal trade schooling but I am well respected in this area of the south that this Yankee invaded 21 years ago.
In the future I will open my cd rom of the 2002 that I purchsed from this site ( when 2005 is adopted I will get one) and reference article #`s with sub sections,or I might just state my profesional non schooled by the seat of my pants answer :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, why not answer the questions you have been asked in this thread?

Roger

drg

Its a forum for NEC CODE, the concept of asking for and giving a CODE reference is part of the general scheme of things........the personal triumphs of a braggadocio are not assisting in anyone to learn code or find solutions to sometimes difficult questions and many times your gibberish has to be cleaned up by members that do understand the CODE so other are not misled.

[ April 01, 2005, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: drg ]

jwelectric

George
I got an e-mail about your post on the 31st at 6:25 AM and need to make a comment about it if you don?t mind.

In both the ?02 and ?05 code it is permissible to connect fixtures that ARE NOT approved as a race way and install the branch circuit conductors for the control of these fixtures. Two additional conductors can be installed for the use of one or more of these fixtures to be used as a night light.

410.32 Wiring Supplying Luminaires (Fixtures) Connected Together.
Luminaires (fixtures) designed for end-to-end connection to form a continuous assembly, or luminaires (fixtures) connected together by recognized wiring methods, shall be permitted to contain the conductors of a 2-wire branch circuit, or one multiwire branch circuit, supplying the connected luminaires (fixtures) and need not be listed as a raceway. One additional 2-wire branch circuit separately supplying one or more of the connected luminaires (fixtures) shall also be permitted.

We are not allowed to leave these fixtures with conductors to feed a receptacle or other piece of equipment. Thank you George.
:) ;) :cool:

jwelectric

This forum is required reading for my classes. I invite all students to join but some would rather e-mail me to post for them. I think that I will start requiring them to join and do their own post because sometimes I end up looking stupid. :roll:

Okay I look stupid all the time I just didn?t want to admit to it. :eek:

allenwayne

I look stupid more than one time a day,sometimes i post without a code reference :eek: Should remember that this is a code forum and before we jump in the water I should have my ducks lined up :eek: I concide Roger when i post here I need to have references articles and all required info.Sometimes I just think that we are actually electricians and not book worms ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.