Whole house generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a gas furnace and gas water heater. My electrical load at any one time is pretty Limited. All I would want to do it keep my refrigerator freezer and furnace running. Maybe some Lights TV that kind of thing. That's about all I use anyway. I suspect I could get by with 3000 watt genset. I have often thought about getting something but the reality is that I am more afraid of storing gasoline in cans in case of a power outage and getting something that I can hook up to the gas line means I have to go to a lot of trouble to get the gas company out and put a new regulator in and whatnot. Even with a small generator like that you can suck a lot of gasoline and chances are if there's a major power outage going and getting more gasoline might be a problem due to the weather or whatever. That would be why I would have a preference for a natural gas-fired unit. Plus it's always hooked up and runs a self test every month so I don't get a big surprise when I go to start the thing and it doesn't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.