Why do my home lights flicker on generator power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New User
Have a new WEN 4750w dual fuel gen. Transfer switch is properly installed. All connections are double checked for tightness. Load doesn’t exceed capacity of gen. Tested lights with and without other devices on the load. Everything works..well pump, fridge, etc., but the highly visible flickering is disconcerting. The WEN has a high THD of >23% The target is 5%, but it’s nowhere near that. So...is the cause of this flickering light/power from “dirty” gen power? Ultimately, this seems like a concern for sensitive electronic devices. For that I thought about sticking in an APC VR/Line conditioner, model Line-R. But, I would really like to know if this issue is the WEN. I can easily take it back and get a different model. Too bad the Briggs & Stratton inverter 6500 model is only gas. I love the clean propane option. Thanks for any help with this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.