Why Hot Tub installs are my favorite.

Occupation
Residential Service Electrician
I’m running a 50A circuit from main electrical 200A panel inside of the house to a Spa Panel located on this brick wall in the picture. Multiple questions…

1. Transitioning from the attic to the green conduit coming down, is there any issues with me sleeving the 6/3 Romex through 3/4” EMT. I’d rather avoid putting a large junction box in the attic and having to splice using THHN, however, I have done this before due to “wet location” concerns for entering AC disconnects outside.

2. The blue conduit going to the future Hot Tub, I was thinking running 3/4” LFNMC all the way along the wall. I’ve read in many places on this forum that it cannot be ran longer than 6’ sections. If I could easily use EMT and then transition from EMT to LFNMC just for the last couple feet I would prefer that. What are thoughts of putting a weatherproof box just to transition connectors and having EMT enter where blue conduit is and then exit using liquid tight.

3. Regardless of which type of conduit I use for the load side, the section where the conduit would have to exit the brick wall and travel either, through the air, or strapped to the concrete slab, I feel extremely uneasy of either without any type of way to protect the conduit. I think leaving it floating in the air would prevent people from walking through there but might entice animals to try and jump over it, claw at it, etc. Strapping LFNMC to the slab, I can definitely see it getting cold and brittle and somebody stepping on it, completely breaking it open like a can of biscuits.

Sometimes I regret becoming an electrician because i flood myself with ”what ifs” constantly for example^^. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpeg
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 53

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I always pour a 4 " concrete pad and then stub up at the appropriate location (Control Panel) so everything is hidden. Also, like you I always use an Intermatic Spa Panel.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Not supposed to run Romex in a pipe outdoors. Any pipe would be a wet location. You could put a box in the attic or on the outside and change to thwn from there. Then come out of the box with PVC or Emt. I would use LFNMC with the PVC and LFMC with the emt.

Occupation
I always pour a 4 " concrete pad and then stub up at the appropriate location (Control Panel) so everything is hidden. Also, like you I always use an Intermatic Spa Panel.
That would be best however this is an existing home and homeowner unlikely to be okay with chipping any of the existing concrete.

Occupation
Not supposed to run Romex in a pipe outdoors. Any pipe would be a wet location. You could put a box in the attic or on the outside and change to thwn from there. Then come out of the box with PVC or Emt. I would use LFNMC with the PVC and LFMC with the emt.
What’s your preferred method for splicing 6AWG wire? I prefer these clear tap connectors. It’s a lot more reliable than large Blue Wirenuts and the listing for the wire nuts only allow 1 6AWG conductor regardless. The only downside is that these clear tap connectors are close to 25$ a piece at my local supply store.

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpeg
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 6

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would run SER cable from inside to the spa disconnect. No junction box needed. From the disconnect, I would run LTNMC & THWN to the tub. No distance limit on the Liq tight. Keep the LT tight to the wall and the concrete pad, right where the two meet. Then strap it to the pad all the way to the tub. If you feel that's a traffic path, you could put something over the LT to protect it.

Occupation
I would run SER cable from inside to the spa disconnect. No junction box needed. From the disconnect, I would run LTNMC & THWN to the tub. No distance limit on the Liq tight. Keep the LT tight to the wall and the concrete pad, right where the two meet. Then strap it to the pad all the way to the tub. If you feel that's a traffic path, you could put something over the LT to protect it.
I didn’t think about the SER cable that’s a great suggestion. Id still like to sleeve it in conduit coming down the wall but Im assuming I should up to 1” to compensate the SE Cable?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would you use an Intermatic SPA panel for a hot tub that have a factory installed control panel?

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What’s your preferred method for splicing 6AWG wire? I prefer these clear tap connectors. It’s a lot more reliable than large Blue Wirenuts and the listing for the wire nuts only allow 1 6AWG conductor regardless. The only downside is that these clear tap connectors are close to 25$ a piece at my local supply store.
All the blue wirenuts I have use are listed for 2-#6 conductors. I do prefer using the insulated connectors though.

If your supply house is charging $25ea for the connectors rated for 14-4 its time to raise hell or find a new supply house. I can get 3 NSI IT-4C connectors for that price.

Occupation
Why would you use an Intermatic SPA panel for a hot tub that have a factory installed control panel?
The Hot Tub company gave the customer this to use. Even from a logistics perspective. It’d be easier to run one 50A feeder than a dedicated 20 and 30a feeder Considering the main panel is 75ft+ away. There was one install where I provided a spa panel as a form of disconnect within sight of the tub. I ran a 50A GFCI protected circuit to the spa panel and one 20A and 30A non GFCI circuit to the actual hot tub. The Hot tub people came to hook up and explained they couldn’t because the 20A and 30A weren’t on GFCI breakers. After some back and forth they agreed to switch the breakers out themselves considering all the wiring was correct. In summary, whatever their instructions are it’s much easier and more professional to follow than to install something that makes sense to me as an electrician.

Attachments

• Spa Panel Medium.jpeg
    Spa Panel Medium.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Spa Panel Specs Medium.jpeg
    Spa Panel Specs Medium.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 31
Occupation
All the blue wirenuts I have use are listed for 2-#6 conductors. I do prefer using the insulated connectors though.

If your supply house is charging $25ea for the connectors rated for 14-4 its time to raise hell or find a new supply house. I can get 3 NSI IT-4C connectors for that price.
I just looked up the listing of Ideal Blue Wirenuts and it indeed says 1 or 2 #6AWG conductors so you are correct. I’m located in Southern WV. I feel lucky just to have them available in this one store. It would be nice to find your pricing however considering how often I use them. Especially panel swaps with aluminum conductor for the stove that need to be extended.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Hot Tub company gave the customer this to use. Even from a logistics perspective. It’d be easier to run one 50A feeder than a dedicated 20 and 30a feeder Considering the main panel is 75ft+ away. There was one install where I provided a spa panel as a form of disconnect within sight of the tub. I ran a 50A GFCI protected circuit to the spa panel and one 20A and 30A non GFCI circuit to the actual hot tub. The Hot tub people came to hook up and explained they couldn’t because the 20A and 30A weren’t on GFCI breakers. After some back and forth they agreed to switch the breakers out themselves considering all the wiring was correct. In summary, whatever their instructions are it’s much easier and more professional to follow than to install something that makes sense to me as an electrician.
That type of panel is pretty common now and usually supplied with the SPA/Hot Tub.

The Intermatic SPA panels have provisions for installing time clocks which are not needed for self contained Hot Tub's.