Why Hot Tub installs are my favorite.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In this install the hot tub people specifically want copper so unfortunately UF would probably be the best option here even though I hate using it.
Run AL SER to the disconnect, and run CU conductors to the hot tub.

The disconnect is a great place to transition between wiring methods.

Occupation
Residential Service Electrician
Run AL SER to the disconnect, and run CU conductors to the hot tub.

The disconnect is a great place to transition between wiring methods.
Most of these hot tub technicians come out and only know how to read their own specs. I’m afraid they’re going to give me more trouble than what it’s worth running aluminum as the feeder. They would probably argue me running 6AWG instead of 8 per their specs.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most of these hot tub technicians come out and only know how to read their own specs. I’m afraid they’re going to give me more trouble than what it’s worth running aluminum as the feeder. They would probably argue me running 6AWG instead of 8 per their specs.
The CU specs only apply to the tub not the panel. Most techs would never open the panel. If they though the panel or breaker was the problem they would say call an electrician.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Good point!
I've lost count of how many hot tubs I have wired for. In any instance where there was a long run, I used Al SER to the disconnect and THWN to the tub. That is 100% complying with the instructions for copper to the tub. If they say anything, ask them if the Al wiring from the POCO should also be copper?!

What’s your preferred method for splicing 6AWG wire? I prefer these clear tap connectors. It’s a lot more reliable than large Blue Wirenuts and the listing for the wire nuts only allow 1 6AWG conductor regardless. The only downside is that these clear tap connectors are close to 25$ a piece at my local supply store.
4 Connectors for $25 including shipping. Cheaper if you want to stock up.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Occupation
Update on the Hot Tub install. Supply store said they never keep 6AWG Ser cable. Ended up putting junction box in attic with 6/3 Romex coming from the panel. Ran Liquid tight from junction box to spa panel. Had the perfect amount of scrap 6AWG (neutral), 8AWG (hot), and 10AWG (equipment ground) to complete the 50A circuit. Ran 12 and 10AWG THHN and liquid tight to the hot tub. The hot tub was so big I didn’t have to worry much about a walk way issue. The hot tub people installed the tub the day we were there so that helped me a ton with placement and they also agreed to make the connections inside the tub. Overall pretty smooth install.

Attachments

• IMG_1854 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1854 Medium.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1858 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1858 Medium.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1856 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1856 Medium.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1855 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1855 Medium.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1857 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1857 Medium.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
Occupation
So did the spa guys end up accepting your GFCI on the feeder? Those in the subpanel don’t appear to be GFCI.
No GFCI on the feeder, the DP 20A and DP 30A breakers inside the spa panel are GFCI. The quality is blurry because I had to lower the size but that was the box provided by the customer and hot tub people.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Gotta love those SQ D panels where the neutral lug is in line with one of the hot lugs. At first glance at one, it looks like a hot should go there. I had to change one for a guy that had his connected that way and wondered why he couldn't get it to work. Luckily, he only had one 120V circuit landed and it was the same leg as the one he had connected to the neutral.

Occupation
Gotta love those SQ D panels where the neutral lug is in line with one of the hot lugs. At first glance at one, it looks like a hot should go there. I had to change one for a guy that had his connected that way and wondered why he couldn't get it to work. Luckily, he only had one 120V circuit landed and it was the same leg as the one he had connected to the neutral.
After a double take, I did a continuity test on the neutral bar just to make sure I wasn't going to blow up this spa panel right in front of everybody. Lol