Why is 200 amps standard for residential panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, then even less. Our POCO provides meter bases free (meter/mains are rare here - I've never installed one).

If I need an outside main breaker and enclosure, they're about $130, which leaves the service cable and GEC.

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Im Here in fla. i had to go troubleshoot a new construction 4/2 typical spec house. All electric appliances with LED lighting. With everything on (i.e heater , range, micro, instahot , lights, tv’s, etc) the total coneected load was 142 amps. This is a 2000 sq ft spec house. It has a 200 amp service.
G.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
We're talking about the service. Not the difference between a 100a panel with 12 breakers and a 200a service with 40 breakers.

Just the service itself.
I can get a 200A 60 circuit for only $40 more than a 100A 60 circuit both Eaton BR PON
Thread title was residental panels.
Only differences within my response was the amperage between the 2 panels. Comparing apples and apples.
Even for service the difference in material cost less than $100 between 100A and 200A

480sparky

Thread title was residental panels.
Only differences within my response was the amperage between the 2 panels. Comparing apples and apples.
Even for service the difference in material cost less than $100 between 100A and 200A

And that's exactly what I was addressing. My material cost between install a 100a resi service and a 200a resi service, all else being equal, is less than a c-note.

Now, if a service calc shows one needs 150 or 200 amps to properly supply the dwelling, then yes, there will probably be more circuits. Especially if there's things like a hot tub, geothermal, all-electric etc.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
In the Kansas City area, electric range and dryer have been the norm on new construction since before I started in 1992.

For the longest time, that was our gauge.
Gas range and dryer? 100a
Electric range and dryer? 200a

The difference in our cost is negligible

480sparky

In the Kansas City area, electric range and dryer have been the norm on new construction since before I started in 1992.

For the longest time, that was our gauge.
Gas range and dryer? 100a
Electric range and dryer? 200a

The difference in our cost is negligible

My rule of thumb is simple. One or two 240v loads.... 100a. Three or more... 200a.

Buck Parrish

In case you're interested - My experiences have been that a 100 amp is pushing the limits of a full family household. Because you're pushing the breaker to it's limits. ( Especially a rental home ) sometimes they melt even when only at 85 amps for several hours. . Good example is the 100 amp main Sq D Qo. I have had to change a lot of them.
I know millions of homes run off 100 amps, But just for the sake of a debate ,125 is better. hahaha, better yet 200 amps

James L

Occupation
Electrician
In case you're interested - My experiences have been that a 100 amp is pushing the limits of a full family household. Because you're pushing the breaker to it's limits. ( Especially a rental home ) sometimes they melt even when only at 85 amps for several hours. . Good example is the 100 amp main Sq D Qo. I have had to change a lot of them.
I know millions of homes run off 100 amps, But just for the sake of a debate ,125 is better. hahaha, better yet 200 amps
My last house was really small, 576 sq ft.
All electric on a 100 amp service. Never an issue
Just me and my son.

1.5 ton heat pump was 7-ish amps
Air handler w/ 8kw emergency heat strip
Range I think 8kw
Water heater 4.5 kw
Total of 16 receptacles and 7 l.e.d. light fixtures

I know, that's an anomaly

ritelec

I can get everything I need for a 200a service for $300 to $350.

Respectfully....

??
200 amp service
4/0 seu 82
head 13
seu 82
straps 5
gland conn 10
2 squeeze 14
2 ground rods 27
2 acorns 22
#4 96
#6 11
2 H2O 10
2 H2O 10
intersystem bonding 15
duct seal 7
wood 25
paint 6
misc 25
Total 378 PLUS tax

service hook if not by utility 20
Meter pan if not by utility 85
Total 105 PLUS tax

200 amp panel with cover 175-250 PLUS tax (I'm using the 250 number and Jersey sales tax @6.625)

TOTAL +- $781.56

*This does not include nm/bx connectors or circuit breakers. Or ilsco lugs for service.

$300 to $350 ????
In a way this reminds me of googleing what a old work receptacle installed will cost and they come up with on average $45

Last edited:

ritelec

For what it's worth, "years" ago I broke it down and it was a difference of $100 from 100 amp to 150 amp and $100 from 150 amp to 200 amp.
But that was years ago.

480sparky

Respectfully....

??
200 amp service
4/0 seu 82
head 13
seu 82
straps 5
gland conn 10
2 squeeze 14
2 ground rods 27
2 acorns 22
#4 96
#6 11
2 H2O 10
2 H2O 10
intersystem bonding 15
duct seal 7
wood 25
paint 6
misc 25
Total 378 PLUS tax

service hook if not by utility 20
Meter pan if not by utility 85
Total 105 PLUS tax

200 amp panel with cover 175-250 PLUS tax (I'm using the 250 number and Jersey sales tax @6.625)

TOTAL +- $781.56

*This does not include nm/bx connectors or circuit breakers. Or ilsco lugs for service.

$300 to $350 ????
In a way this reminds me of googleing what a old work receptacle installed will cost and they come up with on average $45

Respectfully: You're paying way too much for a lot of this.

$7 for duct seal? Jeez, are you using two whole bricks?
Twenty five bucks for a 2x4 slab of plywood? Cabinet grade?
$6 for paint? Are you doing 3 primer coats and 12 layers of cherry-red gloss with sparkles?
$175-250 for the panel? Is it gold-plated?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
200 amp service
4/0 seu - 10'/$27.30
head - by POCO
straps - by POCO
gland conn - by POCO
2 squeeze - $10
2 ground rods - $25
2 acorns - $4.70
#4 25' - $36.36
#6 25' - $20.31
3 H2O - $9.63
intersystem bonding - $15
duct seal 1lb - $2.96
wood - n/a
paint - n/a
misc - $25
*200a M/B panel w/cover - $99.00
Breakers - 15 1p (@4.25), 5 2p (@10.35) - $115.50

Total = $ 390.76

Note that this list includes stuff I normally have or buy for less in bulk, like cable, connectors, GEC wire, much hardware, etc.

*Square DHomeline 200 Amp 30-Space 60-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Plug-On Neutral Load Center with Cover - Value Pack
Includes (3) HOM120 Homeline 20 Amp single-pole circuit breakers, (2) HOM230 Homeline 30

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Respectfully: You're paying way too much for a lot of this.

$7 for duct seal? Jeez, are you using two whole bricks?
Twenty five bucks for a 2x4 slab of plywood? Cabinet grade?
$6 for paint? Are you doing 3 primer coats and 12 layers of cherry-red gloss with sparkles?
$175-250 for the panel? Is it gold-plated?
$11.00 each for acorns 😬😬
Is it a 3" diameter ground rod? 🤪🤪

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I have worked on a couple houses that the new home owners put in all electric appliances and took out the gas ones, so a 200a would cover for future use, not just right now. Plus the cost is insignificant at the point of install in a new home. The Power company up here run 4/0 to all meters, so why not put a 200a panel in.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can get everything I need for a 200a service for $300 to $350.
Maybe next time I do a service upgrade I can buy the materials in your area and have them shipped up to me. I'll pay the freight. My last 150A upgrade (that included a mast) the base materials like pipe, meter pan, wire, ground rods, etc cost $326.75. I ordered the breaker panel and breakers from Lowe's and that was $351.09. Total $ 647.84. Where did I go wrong ?

Getting back to the original question, yes, in my case if it were going to be a 200A upgrade the cost in total materials would probably be somewhere in the area of a $100.00 difference.

ritelec

Duct seal... gonna piss about 3 bucks? (on gland and around penetration, how much do you really have left on a small brick)(and a brick here is 7$)

paint, one can 6 to paint wood, just enough paint for wood 3/4" half a sheat.

head, squeeze conn, meter, hook , straps WE BUY here. 1 of 3 utility co. will supply meter pan

wood paint na??

4 water clamps. meter and water heater.

SEU 30'- .... 10' seu ?, all shacks 8' tall shacks where you live??

70' #4 (VERY rear to have water 4 feet away from the panel IF EVER)

200 MB panel 100 bucks... ?? make and model and supplier please.

3" acorn.. your very funny ha ha ha (not)... I looked at HD sight, memory to me was 5ish dollars, they had them 3 to 10 ... I picked 10..

What a real bunch of BASHERS here

for me it's plus or minus what I said. NOT 300-350 ...

I agree, maybe you all can supply it and ship it to me.

wait, this must also be from the people that can do a panel change inside and out by them selves with one arm tied behind there back in 6 hours ( and that's still taking break and lunch)

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
3" acorn.. your very funny ha ha ha (not)... I looked at HD sight, memory to me was 5ish dollars, they had them 3 to 10 ... I picked 10..
As Biden would say " Come on man" nobody is bashing but take for example Acorn clamp. Here's HD price $2.45 CURBSIDE. You just drive up and they hand it to you. Better than the supply house. That's a national price. So no need to ship you stuff just go online. I just saved you 75% on your acorn clamps since you quoted $10. Similar deal with your water pipe clamps.

1612369973542.png

ritelec

I’m SO happy for you.
I said 3 to 10.
I’m sure you pass those savings on to your customers. :- )

Come on man. What part of plus or minus don’t you understand

Status
Not open for further replies.