Why is 200 amps standard for residential panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you talking about only the breaker panel and breakers ?
No, I priced everything in my list in post #34 that is different from the original list.

Example: I listed three water-pipe clamps instead of four: the main and a jumper.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
As Biden would say " Come on man" nobody is bashing but take for example Acorn clamp. Here's HD price $2.45 CURBSIDE. You just drive up and they hand it to you. Better than the supply house. That's a national price. So no need to ship you stuff just go online. I just saved you 75% on your acorn clamps since you quoted $10. Similar deal with your water pipe clamps.

View attachment 2555190
Not same price in every state. Brother in GA will call saying great deal at HD on X, I'll check here NY and price more. If it is a ship in item usually get a national pricing but if in store stock it's different. Even different prices between Albany and Syracuse stores.

Flanative

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
$300-$350 for service and panel is average cost around my way but dang who cares about that when the cost of the breakers is about $600

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I’m SO happy for you.
I said 3 to 10.
I’m sure you pass those savings on to your customers. :- )

Come on man. What part of plus or minus don’t you understand

Plus Minus is meaningless with a 70% range. If a contractor priced something for me and the plus minus ranged from the actual price to 3 times the cost, I wouldn't call that a good "plus minus" I would say the contractor has no clue on the price. So a plus minus of 3-10 is just a guess. Plus or minus a dollar on a 10 dollar item is fair.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Utilitiy companies (such as ours) only offer 200A and 400A services for residential. If you want a 100A or 150A, you'll pay the same price as a 200A. It helps reduce inventory and other costs when you standardize and manufacturers like it for the same reason. A 400A (really 320A) service is probably overkill for most homes. If you want a truly 400A service, it's CT's. Much more expensive. All non-residential services over 200A require CT's.

Last edited:

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have done 150 amp a few times but @ 200 is the same price (basically) and around here not two many places stock 2/0 aluminum for a 150. Used to do some 125s but some POCOs around here doesn't allow them any more.

haven't priced one lately but a 200 seems like more than $100 over a 100

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
haven't priced one lately but a 200 seems like more than $100 over a 100
I linked to a 200a MB panel with a few breakers for $100. The rest of the breakers would be the same in either size panel.

The rest of the difference between the two for materials is minimal. What could possibly cost $100 less?

ritelec

Plus Minus is meaningless with a 70% range. If a contractor priced something for me and the plus minus ranged from the actual price to 3 times the cost, I wouldn't call that a good "plus minus" I would say the contractor has no clue on the price. So a plus minus of 3-10 is just a guess. Plus or minus a dollar on a 10 dollar item is fair.

You feel better?

ritelec

While you're still on your high horse and attempting to be bilittling, In my head I had 5 bucks for acorns and water ground clamps... in a home depot google search at 1 am that night I saw 10 so put it in.... would you like to continue or move on?

ritelec

I think this post is going GREAT.
Mr. home owner gets a bill for a couple thousand dollars (probably more) for a service change, does a google search and sees " my 200 amp material costs are $350 "

Well mr. home owner.... my 200 amp service materials are not $350. Especially with 10 dollar acorns and gold plated panelboards. Did I mention I use super high grade conductors ?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mr. home owner gets a bill for a couple thousand dollars (probably more) for a service change, does a google search and sees " my 200 amp material costs are $350 "
A customer who would do that would most likely do so first.

Added: So what? You're entitled to mark-up, labor, and profit.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think this post is going GREAT.
I don't see a problem. I've never apologized for my mabor charges. If everybody wants $2,800 for an upgrade, then why not charge $2,800 unapologetically?

Tell your homeowner he should see how much an HVAC company wants to change a furnace that only costs $600. Guaranteed it's double a service upgrade. And less time. I know of an HVAC shop with ONE tech doing $500k annually, above parts.

It's high time electricians stop trying to be the cheapest skilled trade around. Stop apologizing for pricing

ritelec

A customer who would do that would most likely do so first.

Added: So what? You're entitled to mark-up, labor, and profit.

I've had people ask me several times how much I would charge for a service AFTER they already had a service done.

So what? Yes I agree, you can charge 10k for a service. what ever floats your boat.

I don't see a problem. I've never apologized for my mabor charges. If everybody wants $2,800 for an upgrade, then why not charge $2,800 unapologetically?

Tell your homeowner he should see how much an HVAC company wants to change a furnace that only costs $600. Guaranteed it's double a service upgrade. And less time. I know of an HVAC shop with ONE tech doing $500k annually, above parts.

It's high time electricians stop trying to be the cheapest skilled trade around. Stop apologizing for pricing

I don't have to tell "my home owner" anything thank you.

OK ... done with this thread . Getting like trying to explain the color nine. Stay well.

Status
Not open for further replies.