Why is residential wiring known as single phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Something, or nothing depending on the load - or lack thereof.
But I might be grossly mistaken.

Now, what's an instantaneous vector voltage?
Please answer it.
To your question
A voltage sinusoid can be created by projecting a vector with magnitude equal to V and revolving anticlockwise at angular velocity w on to the Y axis with respect to time on X axis.The position of a point on the sinusoid is determined by the position of the revolving vector at that instant.
Now back to the discussion.
Suppose the two loads on the secondary are 1 ohm each.Then the instantaneous current in the top hot conductor is 120A and that in bottom hot conductor -120A i.e the current flow thorough the two loads is in the same direction.So the voltages are also in phase.So if we take any other instantaneous values of the two voltages and calculate the currents,we will find the currents flow in the same direction and hence the two voltages are in phase.That is why it is called single phase supply.

Besoeker

the revolving vector at that instant.
Hmm....a revolving vector. Interesting, my dear Watson, to paraphrase Sir Arthur.....

From school, a very, very long time ago, I had a good physics teacher. Or I thought so.
Vectors were on the curriculum. Usually in the context of physical forces. One of the oft cited examples was a horse towing a barge along a canal. Now, since the horse couldn't walk on water, it walked on the towpath* alongside the canal. That meant the towrope was at an angle to the direction of travel of the barge. Still with me on this?
The physics problem was to resolve this vector into two orthogonal components. One at right angles to the canal and the other, the important force moving the barge, along the direction of travel. A statics rather than a dynamics problem. Magnitude, direction, and point of application. Involving no revolving.
Maybe my physics teacher should have been sacked for this glaring omission.

Now back to the discussion.
Suppose the two loads on the secondary are 1 ohm each.Then the instantaneous current in the top hot conductor is 120A and that in bottom hot conductor -120A i.e the current flow thorough the two loads is in the same direction.So the voltages are also in phase.So if we take any other instantaneous values of the two voltages and calculate the currents,we will find the currents flow in the same direction and hence the two voltages are in phase.That is why it is called single phase supply.

Like this maybe?

TMH01.jpg

With everything in one phase, care to explain how the current in the neutral is 0.0A?

*The towpaths still exist. For a long time, I lived near the Grand Union canal. I used to cycle for miles along the towpath. Easy going since it was pretty much level except at the locks.

Rick Christopherson

Like this maybe?

TMH01.jpg

With everything in one phase, care to explain how the current in the neutral is 0.0A?
You're so hung up on trying to convince the world that your analysis tools are the only tools in existence that you have now mislabeled the diagram irrespective of the analysis chosen. You would be far better served if you didn't try so hard.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Like this maybe?

TMH01.jpg

You again reverted to RMS voltages designation in the above diagram.Will you please change your RMS voltages designation to instantaneous voltages designation in the above diagram in line with our present discussion and present it again ?

Last edited:

Rick Christopherson

Fine. Re-submit it correctly labelled.
I would, if there was a snowball's chance in heck of you suddenly becoming open-minded. Since that isn't likely, I would rather not waste the time. If you weren't trying so hard, this could actually be a fruitful and beneficial discussion for all to learn. It's a shame, because a lot more could be done here to foster knowledge.

Rick Christopherson

You again reverted to RMS voltages designation in the above diagram.Will you please change your RMS voltages designation to instantaneous voltages designation in the above diagram in line with our present discussion and present it again ?
I'm sorry, but I have to side with Besoeker on this. I have no idea where you are headed with this discussion about instantaneous voltages. Before this discussion gets sidetracked further, can you explain why/how instantaneous values are germane to the current discussion?

Edit: Oh. Are you referring to the time-varying equation instead of a simple magnitude designation? (i.e. the full sine function.)?

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Edit: Oh. Are you referring to the time-varying equation instead of a simple magnitude designation? (i.e. the full sine function.)?
Yes please.Based on such instantaneous values of voltages and currents,it is easy to prove the two secondary load voltages under discussion are in phase........

Besoeker

I didn't revert to RMS. It was never anything other than that.

But, as they say, your wish is my..........etc.

TMH02-1.jpg

Where Vm =120*sqrt(2)
And Im = 120*sqrt(2)

That more to your liking?

Rick Christopherson

Yes please.Based on such instantaneous values of voltages and currents,it is easy to prove the two secondary load voltages under discussion are in phase........
Just FYI. What you were asking for is not referred to as "instantaneous values". That's why there was confusion about what you were asking for.

That being said, I don't believe using the time-varying equations will change the current outcome of the discussion.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I didn't revert to RMS. It was never anything other than that.

But, as they say, your wish is my..........etc.

TMH02-1.jpg

Where Vm =120*sqrt(2)
And Im = 120*sqrt(2)

That more to your liking?

Here n=180 degree that you have to state anyway.Now take a particular instant when Vmsin(wt)=120V and Vmsin(wt+n)=-120V Then the currents Imsin(wt)=120/1=120A and Vmsin(wt+n)=-120/1=-120A.So the currents in the neutral move in the opposite directions but in the load resistance they move in the same direction with the result the two load voltages are in phase.Same is true for any other instantaneous values of Vmsin(wt) and Vmsin(wt+n)........

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

From the web:
Gullible:
Easily deceived or duped.
Easily taken in or tricked.

That's what you called the mods and that's not a good idea.

More decent definition from the same web is
Gullible;
Easily persuaded to believe something.

Besoeker

Here n=180 degree that you have to state anyway.
It's π (pi), not n.

Now take a particular instant when Vmsin(wt)=120V and Vmsin(wt+n)=-120V Then the currents Imsin(wt)=120/1=120A and Vmsin(wt+n)=-120/1=-120A.So the currents in the neutral move in the opposite directions but in the load resistance they move in the same direction with the result the two load voltages are in phase.Same is true for any other instantaneous values of Vmsin(wt) and Vmsin(wt+n)........
Vmsin(ωt) and Vmsin(ωt+π) are not in phase.
The π ought to clue you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.