Why, just why..

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
My previous employers both had "attic monkeys", guys slim and short enough to go anywhere. The other techs were most upset when those fellows moved on. :weeping:

We call them 'attic rats' or 'tunnel rats'.

Being 6'2" @ 190 lbs, I don't fare well in attics or tunnels. We have a couple friends in the trade that are 5'5 ish and are great electricians. They can always count on some (to them) gravy work when we have to work tight spaces. They get paid well by the EC because he knows that the rats can do work 3 times as fast in attics as either he or I can. The EC isn't quite as tall as I am, but outweighs me by a skosh.

Sometimes being a big dude isn't an asset to an electrician.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My daughter worked for me one summer and she made a good crawler. 5'4" and a 100lbs, maybe. One fun project she wiggled and squirmed back into a crawl space that contained "...THE BIGGEST SPIDER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!" The spider moved on and she stuck it out 'till the job was done.

Not sure how we would have gotten any of that done with todays safety requirements.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We call them 'attic rats' or 'tunnel rats'.

Being 6'2" @ 190 lbs, I don't fare well in attics or tunnels. We have a couple friends in the trade that are 5'5 ish and are great electricians. They can always count on some (to them) gravy work when we have to work tight spaces. They get paid well by the EC because he knows that the rats can do work 3 times as fast in attics as either he or I can. The EC isn't quite as tall as I am, but outweighs me by a skosh.

Sometimes being a big dude isn't an asset to an electrician.

I'm short enough at 5'7", but since I'm over (waaaay over) 200 lb I take up about the same space horizontally as I do vertically. Plus now I have a couple of bad knees, so my attic crawling days are over. Now if I really needed to, I'd send my nine-year old with a screwdriver and a flashlight. He loves wearing safety glasses!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My daughter worked for me one summer and she made a good crawler. 5'4" and a 100lbs, maybe. One fun project she wiggled and squirmed back into a crawl space that contained "...THE BIGGEST SPIDER I HAVE EVER SEEN!!"
My aforementioned claustrophobia just went up a couple of notches.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
A splice in these is considered accessible>

467bfbdc-abd7-4cdb-8d81-32cb211f921f_400.jpg

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
A splice in these is considered accessible>

467bfbdc-abd7-4cdb-8d81-32cb211f921f_400.jpg

~RJ~
I haven't had to access those too many times, but was enough that I usually remember to consider which side to mount the box on when mounting new ones in order to make it a little easier should you need to access it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.