Wire gauge tool needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been searching for some time for an AWG wire gauge tool for sizing unmarked conductors. I would like it to go up at least 4/0. (or be multiple tools that do that). Anybody have a source of such a tool?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i posted the disc tool about ~6 or more months ago. its a go no-go metal disc, each slot is the gauge size. unfortunately there is no ez way to know actual wire size of an insulated wire.
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...id=1515274008&sr=8-3&keywords=wire+gauge+tool

51Ln1j5-K3L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i posted the disc tool about ~6 or more months ago. its a go no-go metal disc, each slot is the gauge size. unfortunately there is no ez way to know actual wire size of an insulated wire.

In my case I want to measure uninsulated. I would think it would be difficult to measure insulated (if you don't know exactly what you got) since there is probably a lot of variation between types/brands/production runs.

It's usually the larger sizes where I need help. The gauge you showed goes up to size 0. Anything larger available?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
In my case I want to measure uninsulated. I would think it would be difficult to measure insulated (if you don't know exactly what you got) since there is probably a lot of variation between types/brands/production runs.

well, i did say it would be "not so ez". you just mic the insulation and subtract 2x that from the gauge size. a 0000 in disc i cant find yet.

how often do you need to use the tool? if not often i would just make a few single gauges, etc.

Last edited:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I still am with Kate, inexpensive calipers and table 8 NEC. No fuss.

depends on if the caliper will fit into the space. so yes & no depending on whats needed. std caliper is flat, so it has to be held 90degree to the measurement. a made tool that has a gauge slot 90degree to handle means you can measure with handle being parallel to the wire. really all depends on what is needed.

Santa49

Occupation
retired
santa49

santa49

I can't figure out how to post this correctly, but google "burndy wire and conduit measuring device". I think this is a pretty handy tool.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
i would probably buy the ~$6 stainless gauge disc and then manually cut 00 000 0000 in the area of the small gauge sizes. can easily be done using dremel. no batt to worry about and no conversion to worry about. to each their own.

mivey

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
i would probably buy the ~$6 stainless gauge disc and then manually cut 00 000 0000 in the area of the small gauge sizes. can easily be done using dremel. no batt to worry about and no conversion to worry about. to each their own.

The disc won't fit in many places the calipers will. For instance, conductors already terminated. There is usually a small portion of conductor that one can fit the tip of the calipers around. Since they are plastic, one can do it hot without getting a shock or shorting stuff out.

The disc would be fine on non terminated conductors, and if I had one I would use it from time to time. The advantage of the calipers is that they can be used in nearly any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.