wire scrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

teco

Heard on the news tonight copper has hit a two year high and going higher.

Just out of curiosity do most here save all your wire scrap including low voltage? or just over a certain gage or not at all? Do you strip off insulation or not? I have not been doing any of this but I am starting to now.

220/221

Pure gold baby!! This can of stripped stuff is about $800

IMAG0078.jpg

I now strip #8 and larger with a manual stripper.

IMAG0077.jpg

I need to finish this pile and head to the scrap yard.
IMAG0081.jpg

I keep seperate cans for THHN, Romex and bare. I even started saving cat5.

mcclary's electrical

Heard on the news tonight copper has hit a two year high and going higher.

Just out of curiosity do most here save all your wire scrap including low voltage? or just over a certain gage or not at all? Do you strip off insulation or not? I have not been doing any of this but I am starting to now.

I keep all scraps, including low voltage. I usually average around 600-800 bucks a trip to the yard. Normally about 4-5 times per year.

The best was a huge 400 hp motor we moved about 300 ft. and rewired. 4 of us split the scrap at over 1000 bucks a piece

ceb58

IMAG0077.jpg

Whats the name and model of the stripper?
I strip #8 and bigger every thing else goes into a separate can. Still get a good price with insulation on.

WinZip

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

I need to finish this pile and head to the scrap yard.
IMAG0081.jpg

Looked like quit a bit of #6 on that roll in the stripper.

Scrap yards here now want to see buis lic an tradesmen / masters card

WinZip

After looking at that site I believe I can make something like that stripper with old pipe cutter an a few other items.

I have a guy been with me awhile he takes all the scrap an hand strips it we split 60/40 he gets the 60% , last trip to scrap yard he called me said they want to see a contractors lic an tradesmen / masters card , kind of shocked me.

TNGuy81

scrap it now while its still high!! Here is $3.10 lb for No.1 copper
#2 its $1.76 here. I get number 1 price for burnt copper here in my town so I save everything and burn it unless its 6awg and bigger. Wish I had a few barrels of 500mcm right about now..:)

ceb58

scrap it now while its still high!! Here is $3.10 lb for No.1 copper
#2 its $1.76 here. I get number 1 price for burnt copper here in my town so I save everything and burn it unless its 6awg and bigger. Wish I had a few barrels of 500mcm right about now..:)

Hope the EPA doesn't visit this site;)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have this guy call every month , He says " Hey remember me you told me to call you when i'm in town" I never met the guy I don't know him and I take my scrap to the recycle when I have enough to make a trip as well as some other errands.

He's called for 5 years now and I tell him not to call anymore. He still calls.
One day I'm gonna tell him I got lots of it comon over. Then when he gets here I'll show him a 5 gal pail with some cat 5 cuts.....That might get him to stop.

TNGuy81

Here you have to wait one week to get your check, show ur ID, and do a digital thumb print on this laser thumb reader thing. And yea shhh on the burning thing.:)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Here Photo ID and they get your vehicle make, model and tag number. And that's just for aluminum cans! Don't know what they ask for if it's a lot of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.