Wire Size Temporary Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

elevate

Is there a wire size limit on a temporary installation according to NEC. We Have some motors that need to keep running while utility works on transformer.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Yes, from 14AWG - 2000 kcmil :wink:
Yeah, you really gotta be careful and keep your eyes peeled. So many guys are trying to sneak in the use of that 2001 kcmil for their temp installs.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Yeah, you really gotta be careful and keep your eyes peeled. So many guys are trying to sneak in the use of that 2001 kcmil for their temp installs.

...for that 483-phase stuff. ;)

iwire

Staff member
elevate said:
Is there a wire size limit on a temporary installation according to NEC. We Have some motors that need to keep running while utility works on transformer.

It happens the company I work for does this all the time for a power company.

We generally use 4/0 portable power cable run in parallel sets. Keep in mind that the ampacity chart for that cable is not 310.16 but 400.5(B). For example the 4/0 cable we use is rated 360 amps @ 75C.

Here is an example

Gen1.jpg

Gen2.jpg

overview.jpg

EroomDoor.jpg

Trans1.jpg

Trans2.jpg

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Some guys get to have all the fun! :)

It is an interesting diversion.

One minute I am home sleeping, the next thing I know I am driving two hours to connect 2MW genset to a rock crusher at 1AM in a dark gravel pit.

We work for the generator rental company, they call and give us an address when we get there the equipment is usually sitting waiting for us to connect. :cool:

mdshunk

iwire said:
One minute I am home sleeping, the next thing I know I am driving two hours to connect 2MW genset to a rock crusher at 1AM in a dark gravel pit.
Sounds a lot like some alien abduction stories. :D

iwire

Staff member
brother said:
I always thought these temporary installs had to us more tuffer type of cable when ran like this. Is this just the same type of 4/0 cable you would use if you were putting in perminant installs in conduit??

It is portable power cable, it's like welding cable with a 600V rating. :smile:

I would hate to have to pull it in conduit as the insulation is rubber and does not slide well. A 50' section weighs just under 60 Lbs. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
Per Table 400.5(B) I would not accept 360 as the ampacity of those cable where installed as shown in the photos. I am not sure what the ampacity would be as the table does not directly cover your installation.

elevate

Thank you all for the help. I have not seen paralled 4/0 for a temp install
running above the ceiling and strapped with tie wraps. My self I would run conduit in open ceiling just becuse I am weird. AS of now we don't know how much time the utility needs to set their new transformer. The pics are great.

quogueelectric

iwire said:
It is portable power cable, it's like welding cable with a 600V rating. :smile:

I would hate to have to pull it in conduit as the insulation is rubber and does not slide well. A 50' section weighs just under 60 Lbs. :)
What is the address again????

wireguru

brother said:
I always thought these temporary installs had to us more tuffer type of cable when ran like this. Is this just the same type of 4/0 cable you would use if you were putting in perminant installs in conduit??

type W usually (or SC) the stuff is EXPENSIVE

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Bob,
Per Table 400.5(B) I would not accept 360 as the ampacity of those cable where installed as shown in the photos. I am not sure what the ampacity would be as the table does not directly cover your installation.

Why do you say that?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
Because of note 1 that applies the column D ampacities.
1The ampacities under subheading D shall be permitted for single-conductor Types SC, SCE, SCT, PPE, and W cable only where the individual conductors are not installed in raceways and are not in physical contact with each other except in lengths not to exceed 600 mm (24 in.) where passing through the wall of an enclosure.
It appears to me that the individual conductors are in contact with each other for more than 24" in many places in the picture. I don't see any column ampacities that apply directly to the installations in your photos.

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
It appears to me that the individual conductors are in contact with each other for more than 24" in many places in the picture.

That was the only issue I could think of. :smile:

Truth be told we add them up as 400 amps. If the service is 2000 amps we would run 5 sets of these cables. Then when when we fire up the service we check the actual load which will normally be at it's max as the buildings HVAC load will be struggling to return the building to proper temps.

But..... IMO the NEC does not apply to the work we do, we are indirectly contracted by the utility and as you can see our work is on the utility side of the service point.

Many may not agree with that but I have yet to run into an inspector that had any interest in how we do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.