Wire Size Temporary Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

iwire,

How do you keep people out of the secondary cabinet? What is done about the back-fed primary side of the xfmr and the metering equipment?

ultramegabob

brother said:
I always thought these temporary installs had to us more tuffer type of cable when ran like this. Is this just the same type of 4/0 cable you would use if you were putting in perminant installs in conduit??

I made the terminations for a news broadcast van at a highschool a couple of times, the cable belonged to the broadcast company, the school had a fused diconnect just for them, all I had to do was run the cable through some strain reliefs and land it under the lugs, it was alot like welding cable.

iwire

Staff member
mivey said:
iwire,

How do you keep people out of the secondary cabinet? What is done about the back-fed primary side of the xfmr and the metering equipment?

In the pictures above showing 'pad mount' transformers they where in a utility company owned vault.

The top of the transformers where removed when the permanent conductors where installed, all we did was swing open the door to hook up our temporary cables.

I was not on that job but I can assume the utility pulled the elbows off the high voltage side of the transformers before the guys back fed it.

don_resqcapt19 said:
Because of note 1 that applies the column D ampacities. It appears to me that the individual conductors are in contact with each other for more than 24" in many places in the picture.

I have some Carol type SC 1g that's marked ""NEC 400-5(b) for 90degC outdoor". Assuming that the 4/0 is similarly marked, this would put 4/0 at 405a. Some people will also argue that the conductors are effectively unbundled, and thus in "free air". But I won't :grin:. I will also dodge the question of derating.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
zbang said:
I have some Carol type SC 1g that's marked ""NEC 400-5(b) for 90degC outdoor". Assuming that the 4/0 is similarly marked, this would put 4/0 at 405a. Some people will also argue that the conductors are effectively unbundled, and thus in "free air". But I won't :grin:. I will also dodge the question of derating.
I don't know of any equipment that will let you use the 90?C rating, except for the purpose of derating.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
iwire said:
It does beat you up, especially the breakdown and roll up of all the cables.
Given the price of copper now, unless you hire an armed guard, you won't have any pick up to do:smile:

don_resqcapt19 said:
Given the price of copper now, unless you hire an armed guard, you won't have any pick up to do:smile:

Well, ya. Had someone try to steal a neutral once. While it was "in-use". Fortunately, no one was hurt and nothing damaged.

BTW, for roll-up, I've had decent luck jobbing in college theater tech students; it gets the work done, and gives them a taste of the Real World.

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:

:grin:

Yeah, I hear that, luckily we are not responsible for the cables. We did a job in the city and we had pallet / bins filled with 50' 4/0 cables. I could not belive they where still there the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.