Wireless switching for 320'

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Anybody have any recommendation for a wireless switch that will work for 320'? It will be for switching (1) 120v circuit on a boat dock.

Thanks

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Old-school X-10 PLC (power line carrier) technology that uses the wires rather than RF.
The power is at the fixture location, the remote will not be close to any wires.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks hillbilly but I'm just looking for a product. I was asked by someone what they could use to remotely operate lighting on a boat dock and I said I would see what I might be able to find. The panel feeding the circuit is at the end of the dock where the fixtures are.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have wireless we use on wells and pivots but they are pricey and require some additional tinkering. $1000 give or take. 5 miles IIRC.
The boat it will be lighting is on the upward side of a mil so that is probably a number that would be considered.

Roger

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
We use BWI Eagle for a remote switching application in a paper mill machine room. We aren't using them at the range you are looking for but the ones we use are supposed to be good for up to 600 feet with a particular transmitter. I have no idea what they cost.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We use BWI Eagle for a remote switching application in a paper mill machine room. We aren't using them at the range you are looking for but the ones we use are supposed to be good for up to 600 feet with a particular transmitter. I have no idea what they cost.
Thank you Eric, I'll look into them

Roger

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The boat it will be lighting is on the upward side of a mil so that is probably a number that would be considered.

Roger
WiFi might be the way to go then, cameras and other goodies could be added. I did one last year, but buried an extra conduit for Ethernet to the dock, then a wireless switch at the pedestal. I have wireless to my gate camera and controls, and I have a range of over 100 yards @ 360 degrees. I have another one that does line of site up to 10 miles, it’s shooting at around two tenths of a mile right now. If I can get an agreement with the local isp that has fiber 1/2 a mile away, I willl be moving it. 100 meg vs 3. Not bad expensive.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If WiFi becomes an option then Leviton makes makes some good products switches/ timers and dimmers at a very reasonable price.
The lights can be controlled via multiple devices from cell phones, alexa, tablets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.