wiring method for 125W (per channel) speaker amp

darekelec

customer will be installing Sonos Amp 250W Stereo Power Amplifier MFR #AMPG1US1BLK

specs say 2 channels,
Amplifier power125W/Ch into 8 ohms
wires will go in walls
I am unable find info in specs if it is class 2 power supply in t
What wiring method for speakers should I use?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Will the customer be running the amp at full power/full volume? Or a more sedate, ear-preserving volume?
Normally speakers are wired with at least 12 gauge-- I used garden lighting zip-cord. Of course, the aficionados will require zero-oxygen copper specialty cables...
It's low voltage... normally.... would it require plenum-safe wire? Conduit would seem like overkill...

darekelec

I found this thread
in post #2
Doesn't matter what the wattage is, if it says Class 2 wiring may be used you can use CL2. If there is no label or nothing about a wiring requirement you automatically have to assume a Class 1 wiring method.
Whether an amp is Class 2 or not is all determined by the design and the listing

Let me continue the theoretical question ; If it does not cay Class 2 wiring method can be used on the amp, what wiring method is suitable so the sound quality is not compromised and NEC compliant?
CL2 speaker wire in emt or fmc?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would choose a jacketed, in-wall rated 12 gauge speaker cable for customers.

My home theater system has 2,200 watts continuous power*; that's what I use.

*Mains: 2 x 300w/ch; center/sides/rears: 5 x 200w/ch; stereo subs, 2 x 300w/ch.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
wires will go in walls
I am unable find info in specs if it is class 2 power supply in t
What wiring method for speakers should I use?
From the user manual:
Speaker terminals- Use high-quality speaker wire to connect your speakers to Amp

The speaker wire you use should be as high in quality as that over hyped consumer junk. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use 12/2 CL2 so you can run it within the walls.

125W/channel? :ROFLMAO:

-Hal

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Of course, the aficionados will require zero-oxygen copper specialty cables...
I read a review of speaker wiring in Stereo Review some years ago where they invited a bunch of golden eared audio experts in to listen to a double blind test that compared several brands of hideously expensive, oxygen free, exotically twisted, etc. speaker wires to zip cord from a hardware store. None of them could demonstrate that they could tell the difference.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I read a review of speaker wiring in Stereo Review some years ago where they invited a bunch of golden eared audio experts in to listen to a double blind test that compared several brands of hideously expensive, oxygen free, exotically twisted, etc. speaker wires to zip cord from a hardware store. None of them could demonstrate that they could tell the difference.
I read of a similar test using coat hanger wires, with similar results.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, you're saying you think it's an exaggerated rating, and more like peak instantaneous power at 1khz. That was common in the olden days before the FTC got involved in the industry.

I'm pretty sure my amps' ratings are not exaggerated (Sunfire Stereo and Sunfire Cinema Grand.) Their power ratings double with halved speaker impedance all the way down to one ohm.

My speakers are actually rated at 6 ohms nominal, not 8, so the available power level is technically greater than I said above. Plus, my front mains are bi-wired, I forgot to mention.

See: http://www.hifi-review.com/153488-sunfire-stereo-power.html

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm pretty sure my amps' ratings are not exaggerated (Sunfire Stereo and Sunfire Cinema Grand.) Their power ratings double with halved speaker impedance all the way down to one ohm.

Easy enough to check with an audio generator, scope, RMS volt meter and resistive load capable of the wattage... if you wanted to.

-Hal

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
The reason 12 or 14AWG is often suggested for loudspeaker cables is. The end-to-end resistance of the cable needs to be small in relation to the impedance curve of the loudspeaker. Amplifier wattage has nothing to do with it. 25 Watt or 500 Watt amp need the same cable (pro sound systems excepted)

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
So, you're saying you think it's an exaggerated rating, and more like peak instantaneous power at 1khz. That was common in the olden days before the FTC got involved in the industry.

My speakers are actually rated at 6 ohms nominal, not 8, so the available power level is technically greater than I said above. Plus, my front mains are bi-wired, I forgot to mention.

See: http://www.hifi-review.com/153488-sunfire-stereo-power.html
Good idea to ohm out custom speakers always, but 8ohm always seems to ring out less than 6 and 4 around 3... good advice for op, (not larry)
14awg is more than enough, so is 16awg..

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good idea to ohm out custom speakers always, but 8ohm always seems to ring out less than 6 and 4 around 3...
Of course, DC resistance of most speakers will almost always be lower than impedance, which itself varies throughout the frequency range, and typically alternating between capacitive and inductive.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What on earth are you listening to through that?! Do your neighbors like it?
Movies and music. I have an 8" CRT projector, with a 10' diagonal screen, about 5' by 8.5', so I wanted a sound-stage up to the task. You can see the size by the 2' ceiling-grid spacing.

I can play The Eagles or The Blue Man Group at realistic concert level. Only the bass really leaves the room to upstairs or outside, and I don't run it loud late at night, so no complaints.

Proj1lg.jpg 1692385571716.jpeg

1692385182432.jpeg 1692385094848.jpeg

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I replaced a few components in the pics several years ago, most notably the B&K preamp/processor.

In its place now sits a Fosgate Audionics FAP-T1+.

1692405260434.jpeg

1692405291864.jpeg

Unfortunately it DOES make a difference: they have done studies on the pleasure centers of the brain and found that people who THINK they are having some super expensive high end wine or chocolate do get more pleasure from it (even if it's not). I am not sure if they have done it with music, but I assume the effect is similar.🙃

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Unfortunately it DOES make a difference: they have done studies on the pleasure centers of the brain and found that people who THINK they are having some super expensive high end wine or chocolate do get more pleasure from it (even if it's not). I am not sure if they have done it with music, but I assume the effect is similar.🙃
Yeah, the placebo effect works to the advantage of purveyors of audiophile gear as well. Want a US$5,000.00 six foot 120VAC power cable? How about a US$450.00 wooden volume knob for your power amplifier? I have seen ads for both, and both ads promised an improvement in system sound.