wiring neon sign letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

trialsguy

Let me start by saying that I have no experience in neon lighting other then I have heard and now read on the internet that they operate on high voltage. I had heard that before. I have residential and some commercial wiring experience but nothing in neon lighting so let me ask you guys this:

I have a buddy that has asked me or should I say I volunttered to see if I could get his outside neon sighen working for him.

What has happened is they moved from their shop and paid a supposedly competent person to remove the sign which actually is 13 individual letters about 19" tall that have a neon tube in each one.

All he has is the letters and when I opened one of the letters to see how it was wired I discovered that this person just cut the wires off each end of the tube leaving about a 3" pigtail and that's it! They don't have any transformers or anything. This was about 3 years ago and now that they are setting up a new store they wanted to put up their sign and found this.

Is this repairable? Reasonably? they have not the cash to spend on repairing this sign,

Is there other ways to get this done? I have read something about led is there something that I can wire up say a string of lights that work that's not going to break them? I hope this is enough info

Thanks for any help
Bob

iwire

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.