Work Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjspies

I have a problem with workspace issue. I have a heat pump in a service yard which is 71" x 72". If the new heat pump is installed with the 36" clearance from the meter it puts in in a corner with only 5.75" from wall. This does not allow heat pump clearance need. If the unit is replaced on the same site it was before it sits only 31" from the wall the meter is on. The unit replaced was not the original one being put in around 1995. In addition the meter is only about 20" on one side from the wall of the service yard. Could the set up be consider "grandfathered" in since to bring it up to code the service yard (in condo) would have to be bigger or it might be possible to move the meter.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think a meter requires working space. It is not an item that I would expect to require maintenance while energized.

The so called "grandfather clause" is no longer part of the enforceable sections of the code. But in general, for something to be "grandfathered in," it would have to have been in compliance with the code that was in effect when it was first installed. I don't think it would help you, since the working space rules were in effect long before this unit was installed in 1995.

iwire

Staff member
I have a problem with workspace issue. I have a heat pump in a service yard which is 71" x 72". If the new heat pump is installed with the 36" clearance from the meter it puts in in a corner with only 5.75" from wall. This does not allow heat pump clearance need. If the unit is replaced on the same site it was before it sits only 31" from the wall the meter is on. The unit replaced was not the original one being put in around 1995. In addition the meter is only about 20" on one side from the wall of the service yard. Could the set up be consider "grandfathered" in since to bring it up to code the service yard (in condo) would have to be bigger or it might be possible to move the meter.

In my opinion is that the meter is not covered by the NEC at all.

90.2 Scope.

(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:

(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering,

jumper

Hmmm. CMP seems to think that 110.26 applies to meters.

1-103 Log #3273 NEC-P01 Final Action: Reject

(110.26)
space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment,
including metering devices to permit ready and safe operation and
maintenance of such equipment. Enclosures housing electrical apparatus that
are controlled by a lock(s) shall be considered accessible to qualified persons.
Substantiation: It is not unusual to find shrubbery, large and small in front of
meter cans on the exterior of a single family residence, and other buildings
which can pose a hazard to someone wanting to gain access to the meter can
for inspection. Recently, here in Palm Beach County Florida, in the process of
making an inspection of a meter can that was not supposed to be energized, an
electrical inspector received a shock while lying in the shrubbery to open the
meter can. This can be extremely dangerous, especially if the shrubbery is wet,
which is the case in this part of the country.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: All electrical equipment requires sufficient access and
working space per 11 0.26. This includes metering devices. This is an
enforcement issue. CMP-1 refers the submitter to the NEC Style Manual,
Section 3.3.4
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12

Status
Not open for further replies.