Working space and disconnect confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

A customer wants to install an outdoor sub panel an inch from the corner of his house. He is also having his a/c compressor, which is just around the corner from where this sub is to go, relocated to within 6"+ - to the right of the to be installed sub. (A/C unit will be wall mounted and owner plans on leaving the disconnect in it's current location which would no longer be within sight of unit) I believe the location of the panel would be compliant considering there is nothing to the left of the panel but a breaker lock back at the main panel should be install for the a/c circuit. (I believe the disconnect is just a pull out type) Correctamundo yes?

mark32

Also, the raceway feeding this sub will be routed in such a way that it will pass behind the home's gas meters, any problem with that?

jumper

I am confused, where is the remote breaker lock out allowed?

440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located
within sight from and readily accessible from the airconditioning
or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting
means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the
air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels
that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or
refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(
s).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hey jumper, the breaker lock would be located in the main panel, that which feeds the disc and then the unit itself.

Why do you need a breaker lock if there is a disco at the unit. Never mind I see it is no longer in sight. I still think a disco is needed.

mark32

Why do you need a breaker lock if there is a disco at the unit. Never mind I see it is no longer in sight. I still think a disco is needed.

Really, so breaker locks don't jive with a/c equipment? OK, I'll move the disc although, now that I think about it, since there will be no room between the unit and the new panel it would have to be installed on the other side (Right side) of the condenser but there is a basement window there and there's a sub-grade retaining wall that arcs away from the house. Hard to explain but I think you know what I'm talking about. In other words, the disc would be mounted very near where this wall (3' deep or so) is. Hmmmm

mark32

440.14 exception 1 states that a disconnect located within sight shall not be required and a breaker lock can be installed. We'll have to ask the inspector if he'll go for that as there are some other stipulations in that exception pertaining to industrial processes and qualified persons. Thanks jumper and Dennis for the heads up, I just assumed the unit could be treated as an appliance. We'll have to ask the inspector about running our conduit behind the gas meters as well.

kwired

Electron manager
440.14 exception 1 states that a disconnect located within sight shall not be required and a breaker lock can be installed. We'll have to ask the inspector if he'll go for that as there are some other stipulations in that exception pertaining to industrial processes and qualified persons. Thanks jumper and Dennis for the heads up, I just assumed the unit could be treated as an appliance. We'll have to ask the inspector about running our conduit behind the gas meters as well.

Did you read all of exception 1? It is talking about industrial locations not dwelling units.

kwired

Electron manager
Why can't the AC unit be supplied from the sub panel that is to be right next to it?

The breaker in the panel would be within sight and can be used as the required disconnect.

Also why the concern over the gas meter? It is nothing more than a component of a closed system that happens to carry gas, just like the gas piping.

mark32

Hey kwired, yes I see that it does pertain to industrial locations but I was thinking an inspector may let it slide due to the fact there may not be room for it (Disconnect) after the a/c unit is moved to it's new location.

kwired

Electron manager
Hey kwired, yes I see that it does pertain to industrial locations but I was thinking an inspector may let it slide due to the fact there may not be room for it (Disconnect) after the a/c unit is moved to it's new location.

I don't know any good inspectors that will see it that way.

mark32

Why can't the AC unit be supplied from the sub panel that is to be right next to it?

The breaker in the panel would be within sight and can be used as the required disconnect.

Also why the concern over the gas meter? It is nothing more than a component of a closed system that happens to carry gas, just like the gas piping.

The new sub is for a future spa (60a he claims) along with various small loads. I briefly thought of your suggestion but it looked like a rather large unit, I suppose we could increase the planned size (80a) of the sub. As far as the gas meters, I searched and viewed a thread here concerning something of a dedicated space for gas meters, more of a local building code or plumbing code than electrical. I do thank you for your time and insight kwired.

Status
Not open for further replies.