XF explosion at Candlestick Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

blargh

Occupation
Design Engineer
I may be a little out of my depth on this big equipment, but the "CAUTION DONOT (sic) CLOSE BOTH SWITCHES AT THE SAME TIME" label stuck on there has me a little leery. It seems like that would be, um, real bad.

Is there really no interlock to help protect against that?

hurk27

I may be a little out of my depth on this big equipment, but the "CAUTION DONOT (sic) CLOSE BOTH SWITCHES AT THE SAME TIME" label stuck on there has me a little leery. It seems like that would be, um, real bad.

Is there really no interlock to help protect against that?

This is not the same as having a generator and a utility feed which can be out of sync when transfered, dual source transfers can take place by closing both sources because they are in sync because both come from the utility, but you would not want to close a good line into a faulted line which would take out your back up source and could liven up a line that workers might be working on, so this is why I believe the sign is there.

blargh

Occupation
Design Engineer
Thanks, that makes sense. If it's used for worker protection I'd think there should be a lock-out device, but that may be accomplished through some other means?

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks, that makes sense. If it's used for worker protection I'd think there should be a lock-out device, but that may be accomplished through some other means?

Depending on disconnecting method lockout may be easier for some than others.

Grounding jumpers on the lines being worked on are one of the biggest safety precautions - if it would get turned on it is going to trip something. Really not a bad idea on low voltage to do this either, just that there is more places tht are easy to connect to on the open conductor higher voltages.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls

How bout those 49'ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will be ready for the Giants next Sunday for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.