You get a C for crafty

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is it a violation?

As an apprentice I remember installing these types boxes for track lighting.

54171-tbar.jpg

54171-tbfn.jpg

http://www.garvinindustries.com/ele...unction-boxes/4-octagon-for-drop-ceiling-grid

iwire

Staff member
Yours is Listed, the creative one on top isn't :)

I do not know that they are listed. I do not believe the NEC requires all boxes to be listed.

However, in Chris's picture I bet it is a listed box and certainly I can see an AHJ having an issue with this modification.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Let's go for the third C and add Confounding to the list. How does an inspector not notice an exit sign on the crosspoint of a t-bar ceiling?

It was never inspected or the inspector did not do his/her job properly.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Doing demo today and found this gem.

I'll add a fourth "C" for Cautious. . . noting that there appear to be no less than three 1/4 x 24 machine bolts attaching the fixture bar to the T bar. I mean, after you cut up a J-box that much, I wouldn't trust it to hold a heavy exit sign either.

Just sayin'.

mgookin

.... How does an inspector not notice an exit sign on the crosspoint of a t-bar ceiling?

My guess is fire marshal came through on annual inspection and tested an exit light which did not work; said to fix it.

Fire marshal comes back for reinspection and there's a working exit light; signs off. Handyman did the job.

Electric inspector never saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.